This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 120817

Started by Coach Sommer, August 17, 2012 · 11 Replies · 1,652 Views

Coach Sommer

K7DaRCQh0lY

Perform:

1x10 Wrist Pushups

2x10 Cast Wall Walks

2x5 Pike Box Press HS

2x10 Straddle Box Press HS

Walking HSPU Ladders

Finish with 1x10 Wrist Pushups

notes:

1) Rest 1-2 minutes between Press HS sets.

2) If Cast Wall Walks are insufficiently challenging, you may perform PL Wall Walks instead. The key difference between these two variations is that the hands will remain behind the shoulders at all times during the descent and ascent of the PL Walks, whereas in the Cast Wall Walks the hands are directly under the shoulders.

3) Remember to adjust the height as necessary during the Box Press HS variations to ensure that the presses are sufficiently challenging.

4) If you cannot press to HS, then press to HeS.

5) If you are strong enough, replace the Box Press HS variations with Press HS from an L-sit on parallets or PBs.

6) If you exceptionally strong, perform the Press HS variations on the XR.

7) Rest 3-5 minutes then start the Walking HSPU Ladders.

8 ) Begin with Box HeSPU; perform 2 reps then immediately do 6 steps of HS Wall Runs. Take a few breaths and then move on to Negative HeSPU performing 2 reps followed by 6 steps of HS Wall Runs, continue on upward through the HSPU progressions in this fashion until you reach the hardest variation you are capable of, rest 3-5 minutes and then reverse ladder back to the beginning. You will now have completed one round.

9) How many rounds you perform depends on the number of rungs that were in your ladder; e.g. you only made it to the first exercise, you will perform 10 rounds or if you made it to the 5th exercise, you will perform 2 rounds.

10) Adjust the reps in the Walking HSPU Ladder as necessary. If performing two reps at a time is too difficult, drop to one repetition of each variation. If performing two is too easy, increase to three, four or even five reps per variation.

Joseph Lajoie

This WOD looks fun Coach!

Since I'm still relatively new around here could someone please list the HSPU progressions for me to go through on the HSPU ladder?

Thanks

Rik de Kort

They're in the book.

Paulo
Train movements, not muscles.

I like that :D

Joseph Lajoie
They're in the book.

Thanks :D

Paulo

performed:

1x10 Wrist Pushups

1x10 Cast Wall Walks, 1X5 Cast Wall Walks, 1X5 Cast Wall Walks

2x5 Pike Box Press HS

2x10 Straddle Box Press HS

half a rotation of Walking HSPU Ladders

10 sets of V-sits to planche flat tuck (hold 3-6 sec in each position)

Cast wall walks MUCH harder than i thought they would be for me right now. Was trying hard to focus on keeping a straight body and core engaged from the transition of my feet to the ground then back up to the wall (to get a semi lever workout), instead of powering through it like i would normally do.

Was running short on time, so i only finished the upward progression of the HSPU ladders before moving on to 10 sets of Vsit to Planche flat tuck. Also, I'm following Coach's methodology of training planche progressions (10 sets of 6 sec Planche) to build up my Planche. They are looking pretty solid now and I'm really feeling it on the lower back. Forgot to finish with 1X10 wrist pushups :(

Sven Ravnstag

Paulo-

Where did you find this method? I've been training mine the same as the other statics, basically four sets of 15sec for a total of one minute before the WOD. I typically do a set of each move in a circuit then repeat for 4 total rounds.

With Manna I've started training on separate days per Coach's suggestion, usually twice a week on non-WOD days (Wed and Sat); I just worked up to 12 minutes (again, 15sec sets) on the parallelettes. This seems to be working well so I'm interested to see if there's a more efficient way to work on the planches.

Sven Ravnstag

Also-

I'm still not sure I'm doing this WOD correctly. I understand that Level 1 HS (pike HS) would be 10 rounds, and that Level 5 would be two rounds, but for some reason I'm not able to see how this extrapolates to, say, four rounds.

Also, are partial ROM reps allowed here? For example, with Korean HS I can only go about halfway down (using my parallelettes against the wall, sans spotter). Is this acceptable given solitary training conditions or is it better to stick to the easier progressions?

Mark Plas
Steve Sisk said:
Also-

I'm still not sure I'm doing this WOD correctly. I understand that Level 1 HS (pike HS) would be 10 rounds, and that Level 5 would be two rounds, but for some reason I'm not able to see how this extrapolates to, say, four rounds.

This is how you should do it:

If the most difficult HS variant is level 1, then you do this:

Repeat 10 times:

Level 1, rest, level 1, rest

If the most difficult HS variant is level 2, then you do this:

Repeat 5 times:

Level 1,2, rest, level 2,1, rest

If the most difficult HS variant is level 3, then you do this:

Repeat 3-4 times:

Level 1,2,3,rest,level 3,2,1,rest

If the most difficult HS variant is level 4, then you do this:

Repeat 2-3 times:

Level 1,2,3,4, rest, level 4,3,2,1, rest

If the most difficult HS variant is level 5, then you do this:

Repeat 2 times:

Level 1,2,3,4,5, rest, level 5,4,3,2,1, rest

"Rest" means: rest 3-5 min.

Sven Ravnstag

Thanks for spelling it out, Mark! I try to read/follow directions on here as often as possible, but for some reason anytime there's a bit of extrapolation required I tend to extrapolate incorrectly.

Thanks again!

Paulo
Where did you find this method?

In BTGB chapter 10 program design static strength training. Sample Planche progression training program - 4 to 5 times a week before or after your workout, 6 sec hold for 10 sets (8-10 weeks of this then move onto the next progression).

Josh Schmitter

Prereqs:60s between all rounds. 3x50s-Plank,3x20s-arch,3x30s-sup,3x35s-hollow,3x40s-dead, 3x20 rev. Pl

WOD:

1x10 Wrist Pu on knees

5x3 Plank Walks(90s rests for sets)

1x5 Pike Press Hes(90s rest)

1x10 Straddle Press Hes(3 min rest)

Walking HSPU Ladders:

[1 Box HeSPu/6 Wall Runs between each/3min rest] x 20(for 10 rounds)

1x10 Wrist Pu on knees

Notes:

Messed up a little today and started the HSPU Ladder before the Presses/CWW. Did 1.5 rounds, then did the other stuff, then back to the ladder. I am happy to say that doing just 1 rep of the 1st rung 20 times felt really good. I am, however, at a dilemma. By doing 10 rounds of the ladder, I am spending a good 60 minutes on that alone, plus pre-reqs, WU, etc. Bottom line I usually don't have time to do it fully this way. In the past I was adding extra FBE before the Box HeSPu(i.e. pike pushups, dips) so as to add extra rungs and do less rounds, but I feel that is not nearly as good as 20 reps of good, concentrated Box HeSPu's. I don't think I could keep up 5 rounds of 2 rungs(Box HeSPu+HeSPu Neg). The only other option I see is splitting it up throughout the day into 2 sets of 5 rounds. I am kinda just talking about loud here since I will be at the seminar before the next one of these rolls around, but thought I'd get it out there if anyone else has had problems/any input. Many thanks.

Also here is another link to the ladders with some feedback if anyone still has questions:

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewto ... lit=100924