Muscle soreness in hands

Started by Thesecondname, August 15, 2012 · 4 Replies · 2,275 Views

Thesecondname

Hello gymrats,

I've some pain/strain in my hands the last few weeks when I practise speude/planche pushups and even handstand work (even against the wall). So it might be due to the lack of some flexibillty in my wrists/forearms I guess?

Is it normal? When will it gone? It's very frustating because I can't concentrate on my movements because of the strain in my hands.

However, I don't feel the pain when my elbows are bend (by doing pseude pushups for example)

Thanks.

Nic Branson

Flexibility work, massage your hands and cut the volume down for a bit to let your hands heal. It would be more helpful to know where on your hands it hurts.

Thesecondname

It hurts right in the palm of my hands. Especially when I'm leaning foward to do a (tucked) planche or trying a straddle HS from the ground.

Nic Branson

So palm side and not the top between the bones or along the tendons at all? Do you do them on a hard surface? If so could be a bit of bruising from the volume and not being used to it.

Coach Sommer

In GST your hands work extremely hard supporting your entire bodyweight. You have simply over taxed them by increasing the volume too rapidly. Give them a week off and then return back to training with half your current volume. Then gradually increase the volume until you find the level that is comfortable for you.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer