This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

XPirate's Log

Started by XPirate, August 14, 2012 · 8 Replies · 186 Views

XPirate

8-14-2012

Hang Snatch: 45lbs x2, 45lbs x2, 55lbs x2, 65lbs x2, 75lbs x2, 85lbs x2

Hang Clean: 85lbs x2, 85lbs x2, 95lbs x2 reps x3 sets

Push Press: 150lbs x3 reps x3 sets

PL Squat: 245lbs x3 reps x5 sets

------------

tucked L-sit: 20sec, 25 sec, 25sec

supported german hang: 25sec, 25sec, 25sec

wall handstand: 30sec, 22sec, 30sec

inverted bdw rows: 5, 5, 5

Weight is about 198lbs [90kg].

Rest is about 1min for the 2 rep sets, and 2min for the three rep sets. The gymnastic stuff was done as a sort of medley/complex/circuit.

The olympic lifts were really easy. So easy I kept on adding weight. Something just clicked. I practiced bending my knees before dropping the weight so it didn't screw up my shoulders, and it helped a lot. All the oly work is really easy, but I want to take it slow so I don't screw up my shoulders. I didn't get good sleep but I did drink coffee. Also, most of my training has been in a fasted state in the morning. All of this recent training has been belt-less.

The squats were easier than last time, but still kind of a grind. I felt my hamstrings struggling, which kind of makes sense since I haven't worked them in a while. I think the squats were easier because of the heavier work I did last week (more training stimulus?). By heavier, I meant work done at around 55% of my working set as opposed to 38%. Maybe the paused squats helped?

Push Press made my shoulder uncomfortable, but it wasn't too bad. I could definitely go to 155lbs, maybe 160lbs.

The tucked L-sits were done on crates, so I was elevated about 12" from the ground, and that helped a ton. My hip flexors aren't strong enough to left my legs high off the ground, so these L-sits on the ground really made me struggle. I think I can even go to normal L-sits as long as they are on crates. I should take it slow though and continue with these tucked for another week or two. The german hangs were still kind of hard, I felt something like micro-tearing in my biceps. The wall handstands felt great, I started working on keeping my balance and leaning off the wall. Felt my whole body tense up and contract during the exercise, which is a good thing. Maybe I'm ready for planche training? Handstand push-ups?

The inverted rows were put in there instead of the chin-up hangs, because for the past two rest days my wrists were incredibly sore and felt extremely weak, so I think I might have over done it. That, and I have so much vertical work that I felt I needed some horizontal stuff. Also, my forearms have never looked so vascular and large before. Undoubtedly it is just blood being pumped there, but I'm starting to think forearm and grip training is better done with higher holds than my 3sec-10sec. More like 20sec-60sec, since my german hangs are around 20-30sec.

XPirate

12-11-2012

hollow: 3x30sec

arch: 3x30sec

plank on rings: 3x30sec

reverse plank: 3x30sec

wall handstand: 3x30sec

l-sit: 3x10sec

german hang: 3x10sec

L-chin hang: 3x10sec

 

inverted false grip rows: 4, 6

ring push-ups: 4, 4

leg raises: 12 reps x2 sets

 

Tough workout. Probably too long. I'm not sure I was holding a good hollow. Not sure what I'm doing...paralysis by analysis.

XPirate
12-13-2012

Deficit Trap Bar Deads: 245lbs x10 reps x3 sets

Neutral Grip DB bench: 150lbs x8 reps, x9 reps

Pistols: 10 reps x2 sets

--ss--

Hanging Leg raises: 5, 4, 5 tucked with straight arms

assisted GHRs: bdw x8 reps x2 sets

--ss--

neutral grip chins: 3, 2, 5 

--ss--

bulgarian split squats: bdw x15 reps x2 sets

45 degree hyper: bdw x8 reps x2 sets

--ss--

decline sit-ups: +15lbs x12 reps

leg press calf raises: 90lbs x20 reps, 180lbs x20 reps, 270lbs x20 reps, 360lbs x20 reps, x12 reps

external rotations: 10lbs x15/20lbs x15 cable

 

I got more reps on chins when I didn't go all the way down. The others were with good form going all the way down. DB bench was disappointing, but it was probably because of the deadlifts. Deadlifts were a bit harder than last time. My back doesn't feel funky, but I know if I did one more set of deads it would definitely feel sore and broken. I'm still not sure about set/rep schemes. Whether I should program in ramping or program in straight sets. 

 

My goal was to hit some full range lifts that my gymnastics work didn't hit, so I really only need to work up to one set on upper body with the exception of legs. Maybe though, because bodyweight and compound/complex exercises are so stressful, I don't really need to workout as intensely as I think. We'll see.

 

 

 

 
XPirate
12-152012

warm-up: hollow, arch, plank, reverse plank x30sec x2 sets

wall handstand: approx 20sec x4 sets

--ss--

tucked back lever: 10sec x4 sets

--ss--

L-sits: 10sec x2 sets, 20sec, 15sec

--ss--

tucked front lever: 10sec x2 sets, 20sec, 20sec

false grip inverted rows: bdw x10 reps x3 sets

--ss--

ring push-ups: bdw x10 reps x3 sets

--ss--

lying leg raises: bdw x10 reps x3 sets

 

cooldown of stretching, neck stuff, ext. rotations

 

Back felt a bit funky, probably from deadlifts. Nothing aggravated it so I assumed it was just sore. Hit a 15sec L-sit chin grip hang during warm-up.
XPirate
12-18-2012

calf-raises: 90lbs x20 reps, 180lbs x20 reps, 270lbs x20 reps, 

Neutral Grip DB bench: 160lbs x8 reps x2 sets, 150lbs x8 reps x2 sets @9

decline sit-ups: +10lbs x12, +20lbs x8 reps x2 sets, +30lbs x10 reps @8

--ss--

neutral grip chins: 6, 6, 6 @9

blast strap dips: 5, 6, 6 @8 or 9

--ss--

db curls: 15lb dbs x8, 25lb dbs x8, 30lb dbs x8 @7

tricep pushdowns: 100lbs x10 reps @7

ab compression stuff: pike x15 sec, straddle x15 sec, pike x15sec

 
XPirate
12-19-2012

warm-up: arch, hollow, hollow plank, reverse plank, overhead squats, shoulder dislocates, chin hangs

wall handstand: 15sec x4 sets

--ss--

360 pull to back lever: 10sec x4-7ish sets

--ss--

straddle L-sit: 7sec x2 sets

--ss--

XR L-sit: 10sec x2 sets

burpees: 10 reps x4 sets

--ss--

false grip inverted rows w/bent knees: 5 reps x4 sets

--ss--

ext rotations, hollow work, ab compressions, neck work: ???

XPirate
12-20-2012

Stiff Oly Bar Deadlifts: 185lbs x8, 225lbs x5 reps x3 sets

assisted pistol squats: bdw x10 reps

bulgarian split squats: bdw x 20 reps

 

AM training to prepare for xmas vacation. I don't know why I felt so weak today. I have some guesses. I'm also starting to get a bit fatter. Time for some carb cutoff days. I don't know why my deadlift was so much weaker and harder than usual. Maybe I am focusing too much on reps and not enough on reps...Maybe then my answer to the straight sets or pyramid sets is pyramid. Or pyramid for my strength cycles and straight sets for my volume cycles, and make sure I alternate cycles often enough.
XPirate
12-28-2012

FSPs: chin hangs, handstands, back lever, l-sit, straddle-l

Stiff Deads: 185lbs x8, 225lbs x8, 285lbs x8

pistols: 9 reps x2 sets

chin-ups: bdw x5 reps x4 sets

--ss--

bulgarian split squats: bdw x10 reps x2 sets

bb curls: 45lbs x15 reps

ab compression: pike x15sec x2 sets, straddle x15 sec x3 sets

 

Did some bdw exercises over christmas break. I was dead tired after deads and pistols. I can't do one million exercises per workout. That's insane...did some cuban presses too.