Hello guys,
I have been very overzealous with my training in front lever and have neglected other upper body muscles. It is my big goal right now. I can perform a one leg extended front lever, but I struggle with pushing movements. It is strange because I am SSC advanced l-sit on the floor 15 seconds, which is much less than normal l-sit max, but so I figure I should have decent pushing strength but that is not the case.
I am still on basic bent-arm frog stand with SSC ending in September. I can perform about 20 pressups maximum if I go at a 212 tempo with protraction at the top. Back lever is at basic tuck SSC 20 seconds. About 7 dips full ROM. My pulling strength is high in comparison obviously. I have the one leg extended FL for 12 seconds right leg and 10 second left leg out, I can do 17 pullups at 212 tempo and my record is 21 at 101 tempo.
My concern here is for muscle and movement imbalances. I don't want my rear deltoids to continuously overpower the anterior deltoids. Internal rotation to be better than external rotation. I am scared for rotators cuff issues. Don't want to develop problems. I think big disparity came when Joshua recommended I do bulgarian rows when I struggling with flat tuck a while back. Well, I did so many freaking bulgarian rows every week I ended up getting 60 seconds flat tuck in one SSC cycle. And then I stopped SSC and started increasing FL volume, adding in pulls, rows, FL pulls, negatives, and statics. Obsession.
Now, I know front lever works basically every upper body muscle. Forearms, biceps, triceps, rear (and lateral?) deltoids, internal rotation and extension, the entire back from the tip top to the lowest low to the farthest sides, the chest, and the entire abdominal wall. And the hips of course. So I am thinking that my big focus to correct the push-pull imbalance should focus on anterior deltoid, protraction, and external rotation. Yes? I know planche works all of this, but like I said, I am still at bent frog and I think not ready for planche leans yet. Right?
Handstand pushups work all 3 deltoids, but I am still at pike HeSPU with 3 reps max. Not really good for protraction and ext rot either, I think? I try full negative sometimes but the ROM is embarresing. I do ido's scapular routine in my warm up, with gymgregs shoulder warm up too.
So what should I do? Good exercise to prevent problems and counter FL? I know planche is the natural pair with FL. I don't want to stop FL work, I am getting close but if that is the case...
Oh yea, I do killroy70 programming but like I said, I just focused so much on that FL and cared very little about everything else. Except legs! They're my favourite body part to train.
Sorry for any english mistakes I leave England and english is getting bad again. There is no one to edit my writing!