Interesting problem

Started by Bryce Warren, August 13, 2012 · 14 Replies · 5,600 Views

Bryce Warren

Well, over the years I've worked up to being able to handle a large volume of training, which seems to also have created a bit of a downfall. During the days I decide to rest and heal up, I feel horrible. Half the time I end up feeling depressed, and more often than not I have a hell of a time trying to sleep. And if I decide to take 2 days off...well let's just say it's damn near impossible for me to sleep at all that night.

Am I alone on this one?

Michael Traynor

Active recovery.

Rest days don't have to be lazing around on the couch. Get out in the fresh air, go for a walk, go for a swim. Have a hot bath before bedtime. Resting your tendons and muscles from the rigours of GST doesn't necessarily mean resting from other active things that would also make you tired at night.

Cole Dano

My thoughts exactly Michael

Kiyumars

Aren't rest days a perfect time to do some serious stretching?

Nic Branson

Another vote for active recovery. Sadly at times this ends up being extra house work.

Blairbob

Yes, I experienced the same thing last Wednesday when I opted to do nothing on my rest day. For instance yesterday, I did a bit of jogging, pullups, leglifts, and DB work besides SLS. Technically I was supposed to do it on Saturday night but I ended up resting most of that day after working out in the morning. Kinda made my legs and core a bit sore this morning.

As well, right now I need the distraction or I go stir crazy. So moving around is important. Something light. Play, jog, swim, bike, run, walk, etc.

Cole Dano
Nic Branson said:
Another vote for active recovery. Sadly at times this ends up being extra house work.

Good god no! Getting out of housework is the reason I work out!

Nic Branson
Cole Dano said:
Nic Branson said:
Another vote for active recovery. Sadly at times this ends up being extra house work.

Good god no! Getting out of housework is the reason I work out!

LOL.

With my wife being pregnant I get out voted now.

Bryce Warren

Heh, well most days I do end up doing some sort of active recovery. That only gets me in the mood to train even more most of the time. At the end of the day it basically comes down to whether I've killed enough energy. On rest days, even with active recovery, it just ends up not being enough to make me even remotely tired.

Rik de Kort

Get some friends and play a game of basketball.

Cole Dano

You might try some kind of relaxation exercises. It's not bad to also be able to consciously slow down from time to time.

Paradox

Well, you could try learning something academic. Something that's hard for you, but fun, like reading philosophy or practicing maths? Mental fatigue is a good way to fall asleep due to sheer exhaustion.

Rik de Kort
Paradox said:
practicing maths

+1 for you, Patrick. One does not study maths, one practices maths.

Paradox
Rik de Kort said:
Paradox said:
practicing maths

+1 for you, Patrick. One does not study maths, one practices maths.

Haha, hey - knowledge versus proficiency. I suppose it's similar to gymnastics. There's more self-satisfaction in performing a planche than knowing how to perform a planche. Lean well forward, good gentlemen!

Actions, not words. 8)

Craig Mallett

Meditation!

(i must sound like a broken record - its my answer for all problems! :D)