someone knows a sensated progression for this skill or a pre reqs?
i can do normal cartwheel and 1 hand cartwheel..
how i can develop great swing flexibility in order to use all my flexibility on biceps femoris?
thanks for your time
Started by Alessandro Mainente, August 9, 2012 · 9 Replies · 4,761 Views
someone knows a sensated progression for this skill or a pre reqs?
i can do normal cartwheel and 1 hand cartwheel..
how i can develop great swing flexibility in order to use all my flexibility on biceps femoris?
thanks for your time
Side cartwheel from standing X to standing X
Side cartwheel from standing X to lunge
Lunge cartwheel to lunge.
Near arm cartwheel from lunge
Far arm cartwheel from lunge. This requires you to hop over a bit.
Dive cartwheel from lunge or lunge/hurdle. In the dive cartwheel, the hands turn in the air so the fingertips face the direction they came. Basically 1/2 turn in the air.
You can also work all of these from a knee lunge to focus on the rear kick and pushing off the front knee.
After the dive cartwheel and far arm cartwheel, you are pretty much ready to go for it.
Try it either off a panel mat, with a spotter or into a pit. I guess you could try it down a wedge but I have never bothered to.
Many coaches have different opinions on what to do with the arms. I prefer to turn them out to side like an inverted T because I'm trying to get the gymnast to not reach for the floor which is very common. It worked for myself.
Some coached prefer a russian lift or underarm swing. I do the underarm swing to inverted T because I would always reach for the floor and end up with a sprained finger. It's why I have rarely down them over the years since that really used to annoy me. Nowadays, only on the rare occasion of when I have to, will I demonstrate it for the kids or an adult gymnast who wants to learn. I used to get a lot of dancers who wanted to add them to their repertoire.
It's worth doing it for the dancers...they tend to be hot. ![]()
wwwoooo super answer, thank you blairbob
the primary difference between lunge and knee lunge is that in the second the leg in the back is touching the floor with knee?
and in the carthwheel with hands and one hand the legs in the front have to be completely extended before jump off the floor?
thanks for clarifications
Yes, you have the kneeling lunge correct. There is the standing lunge and kneeling lunge.
and in the carthwheel with hands and one hand the legs in the front have to be completely extended before jump off the floor?
Umm, say again? I know we have a bit of a language barrier but I'm not sure which one hand cartwheel you are talking about or if you are talking about the dive cartwheel.
If you are talking about the lunge and bent knee, yes you must kick the rear leg to ceiling while pushing through the leg from bent to straight and pushing off the ball of the foot.
you were clear!
thanks a lot
I did it with this progression:
fast cartwheel
one handed cartwheel
Someone here does forearm cartwheel
vault board (I don't know the name of the board used for vault, so I wrote vault board) aerial (placing one hand in the end of aerial, to not fall on floor)
floor aerial placing one hand on floor
vault board aerial
floor aerial
One handed cartwheel in italy are 2 different cartwheel: cartwheel placing the first hand on floor and not the second; and cartwheel placing only the second, done with a little jump or by flexibility.
I ever did aerial without run and only with 1 step before aerial.
Blairbob said:Side cartwheel from standing X to standing XSide cartwheel from standing X to lunge
Lunge cartwheel to lunge.
My right side lunge (right foot forward) cartwheel has terrible form on the ending portion. I suspect it has something to do with side flexibility, but am not too sure. If one is having issues with the "dismount" portion of a cartwheel, is there any decent course of action beyond "do more cartwheels"?
What is your middle split and shoulder flexibility like?
If these are poor, so will your cartwheel be.
At Yuri's recent HS seminar he had us do some cartwheels. I've been doing GB, yoga, etc. for a couple of years now and really haven't done a cartwheel since I was a kid (MANY) years ago. Pretty sobering when I couldn't even get a good one off. It's one of those things that as a kid you could just do and then from years of doing the wrong things with your body it unlearns these things.
Blairbob said:What is your middle split and shoulder flexibility like?If these are poor, so will your cartwheel be.
Shoulder is fine, middle split is crap. Still working on that one.