Flexibility functional tests?

Started by Martin de Jesus Ponce Robaldino, August 8, 2012 · 9 Replies · 3,437 Views

Martin de Jesus Ponce Robaldino

Hello everyone, hope you all have great work!

Well, i've been working with a couple of friends, and i'm evaluating their progress each 6-8 weeks.

In the evaluation process, i'm taking a few points in consideration:

-> Mobility : specifically of shoulders and hip , checking their form in deep squats, back bridges and handstands.

-> strength: actually i've been working with them with l-sit's , pullups, pushups, dips, handstands, horizontal rows, and squats, so i'm gonna meassure their strength gains only in these.

-> flexibility: passive and active, here's where the question comes, ¿what kind of standard flexibiloty test would you recommend not only for this case, but for everyone who wants to know their actual level of flexibility? i was thinking about shoulder flexion and extension, pike (seated and standing), and splits, would you recommend me another significant flexibility test to apply?

Thanks in advice!

Blairbob

That's about all that is necessary.

You could look at the angle of torso in a Bodyweight/Air Squat or OverheadSquat as well as depth.

Aaron Griffin

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Tests.html

I'm partial to the FMS tests (from that link):


  • [*:1w4df6j9] Overhead Squat
    [*:1w4df6j9] Hurdle Step
    [*:1w4df6j9] In-Line Lunge
    [*:1w4df6j9] Rotary Stability Screen
    [*:1w4df6j9] Active Straight-Leg Raise
    [*:1w4df6j9] Shoulder Mobility - Open Hand

Blairbob

Interesting. Thanks, Phrak. They seem a bit overcomplicated to me but I'll have to play around with these myself before I make my final judgement.

Martin de Jesus Ponce Robaldino

thanks phrak, i already had read them before, but, probably i didn't express my question correctly.

Which might be the most significant flexibility tests from those?

Today i measure their pike (seated and standing), their splits, back bridges, overhead squat and shoulder extension...

might wall slides be a significant test?

Thanks for answering

Rik de Kort
martinponce said:

might wall slides be a significant test?

I'd test how far they are able to open up their shoulders rather than their wall slide ability, since it's basically what wall slides are for.

Nic Branson
phrak said:
http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Tests.html

I'm partial to the FMS tests (from that link):


  • [*:cqc9iw6q] Overhead Squat
    [*:cqc9iw6q] Hurdle Step
    [*:cqc9iw6q] In-Line Lunge
    [*:cqc9iw6q] Rotary Stability Screen
    [*:cqc9iw6q] Active Straight-Leg Raise
    [*:cqc9iw6q] Shoulder Mobility - Open Hand

Obviously I am partial toward the FMS tests. The list above is incomplete though.There is no need for them to be complicated, don't over think the movement. The Shoulder mobility should be closed handed and not open. Closing the hand makes the movement harder and if the person has a shoulder dysfunction it would be more likely to show.

On the subject of testing, you seem to be over thinking flexibility. When you look at their movements it should be apparent. If they cannot perform it properly then flexibility might be limiting them and should be checked. If one of the goals is to directly improve a specific stretch then by all means check that stretch.

Movement needs to be judged as a whole. Testing individual parts will not give a good indication of the ability to put it all together and perform.

Aaron Griffin
Blairbob said:
Interesting. Thanks, Phrak. They seem a bit overcomplicated to me but I'll have to play around with these myself before I make my final judgement.

The FMS tests test a lot more than flexibility. It has a lot to do with core stability in various movements too

Aaron Griffin
Nic Branson said:
Obviously I am partial toward the FMS tests. The list above is incomplete though.There is no need for them to be complicated, don't over think the movement. The Shoulder mobility should be closed handed and not open. Closing the hand makes the movement harder and if the person has a shoulder dysfunction it would be more likely to show.

Been a while since I read the book, so I guess I missed the closed hand / open hand thing. Is there anything else missing?

Nic Branson

The Trunk Stability, impingement pre-screen and spinal pre-screen from the basics. Ankle's should be done for most people also.