It was such an awesome final! Great performances by Arthur Zanetti and Chen Yibing. Also great to see legendary Iordan Iovtchev making an appearance. Just my 2 Cents however, i honestly think Chen Yibing shouldve won. Although im probably biased towards Chen, i dont see how Zanetti scored higher execution when he didnt stick the dismount. Even Iordan Iovtchev is suspicious towards the results "Personally, I think Chen performed the best, but I'm not the judge,". Thoughts?
2012 London Stil Rings Final
Started by anhkun, August 7, 2012 · 22 Replies · 6,433 Views
Chen looked more solid all the way through his routine to me. I couldn't understand the score either.
When Zanetti finished I was sure Chen is going to win, but Zanetti will get a medal. I was very very surprised when the score showed up :shock: . But I'm not a judge and I'm sure there will be some blog/forum posts somewhere on the internet by more experienced people who will try to score the routines, I will post the links if I find any.
What I loved about Chen was how cool he was with it. He was smiling and waving all the time - even at the end after losing gold. Like a boss 8) !
All of Zanetti's horizontal posititions were executed with perfect form. There was a small mistake on his dismount, and I'm sure judges deducted a few points from his performance, but it was just really solid overall.
Chen Yibing as a 3 times Olympic champion was really amazing as well, however his maltese weren't perfectly horizontal, and they were also slightly piked. Just look at his maltese at 24 sec of the video below. Please notice how his legs were moving back and forth on his inverted cross and handstand. Also he landed with open legs.
01K41uHnJ_Y
I think for landing it's more about stick it or not, not sure if any point is deducted from open legs.
After all, congrats to Chen, he had one of the best inverted cross I had ever seen.
Thanks for the explanation and video!
I made a mistake and watched comments in that youtube video
. After every final event youtube/redit/forums are full of angry viewers accusing judges to be: racist, corrupted and evil. It is definitely not fun to be a judge :shock: .
It was extra bad after women AA finals
.
Thanks for that, the side by side makes it clear.
seiyafan said:I think for landing it's more about stick it or not, not sure if any point is deducted from open legs.
I had a look into MAG rules and found this that legs apart on landing are 0.1 deduction when < shoulder width, 0.3 deduction otherwise (Article 25).
Chen Yibing´s routine is still superior. The legs apart on the landing have no deductions since the legs are not farther than shoulder width. Also, his flight phase is way better than Zanetti´s, the latter has should inquire several deduction since he pikes down both flips and lands with a big step. When it comes to balance to strength elements both are a little shaky but Zanetti struggles to hold it a bit more, you can actually see small back and forth movements on his shoulder girdle. I watched the finals with Bart Conner and Nadia Comanecci commenting and Bart said something interesting that rings is about pure brute strength but Chen Yibing is the only one that makes it look graceful, he looks elegant.
Having personally met Zanetti at he Pan Am games last year in Mexico I am very happy for him but I still think Yibing is the better ringman.
-Chan
Joshua Chan said:The legs apart on the landing have no deductions since the legs are not farther than shoulder width.
According to MAG rules it should be 0.10 deduction (page 31). Am I missing something?
Joshua Chan said:Chen Yibing´s routine is still superior. The legs apart on the landing have no deductions since the legs are not farther than shoulder width. Also, his flight phase is way better than Zanetti´s, the latter has should inquire several deduction since he pikes down both flips and lands with a big step. When it comes to balance to strength elements both are a little shaky but Zanetti struggles to hold it a bit more, you can actually see small back and forth movements on his shoulder girdle. I watched the finals with Bart Conner and Nadia Comanecci commenting and Bart said something interesting that rings is about pure brute strength but Chen Yibing is the only one that makes it look graceful, he looks elegant.Having personally met Zanetti at he Pan Am games last year in Mexico I am very happy for him but I still think Yibing is the better ringman.
-Chan
You summed up my thoughts exactly Chan, though it's true Chen's bodyline was not a straight as Zanetti's, he and the rings were truly still in the strength elements and even when there was motion, there was no struggle. Chen put the artistic of artistic gymnastics into his ring work. He's going out a champion and a gentleman in my eyes.
sadly our tv station coverage of olympic suck! so I didn't get to see rings final, ment to be on at 11pm waited 2 hours and still didn't come on, wont mention the station but their number is after 8 and before 10
. Hoping the final will be posted on youtube in near future.
mattdaly said:Hoping the final will be posted on youtube in near future.
You don't have to wait
.
Use a free trial on http://www.unblock-us.com and go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/201 ... o/p00w31tc .
you guys watch the high bar finals btw? epke's connecting three releases was absolute nuts!
qxLSGBeDPFE check out the vid recorded by spectator, just amazing!
Chen is too hollow for my personally understanding of artistics ![]()
Another thing: Why did all competitors pull with slight bend arms in their opening front pull?
EDIT: And Chen did probably suffer from being the first competitor
You may find this article interesting: http://uncletimtalksmensgym.blogspot.sk ... wless.html
EDIT: That post was replaced by http://uncletimtalksmensgym.blogspot.sk ... ecide.html .
Thanks for the link. It is a very critical and informative article.
anhkun said:you guys watch the high bar finals btw? epke's connecting three releases was absolute nuts!qxLSGBeDPFE check out the vid recorded by spectator, just amazing!
It was absolutely brilliant. I haven't seen such a nice routine since Nemov.
Has anyone noticed how tall and long-legged athlete is Tommy Ramos?
That guy is 5' 7" tall and weighs around 162 pounds. That is very unusual for a still rings finalist.


New post on the gymternet
: Arthur Zanetti vs. Chen Yibing: You Decide
Cole Dano said:Chen put the artistic of artistic gymnastics into his ring work. He's going out a champion and a gentleman in my eyes.
Well said Cole, the artistic of gymnastics!!
How much can an elite gymnast curl? 150% BW?
150% BW curl with strict form & without any leaning and swing? In case of Tommy Ramos it would be a 110kg curl. I highly doubt that
However a lighter gymnast may curl 120% BW.
The problem doing that weight in curl is that you must balance the weight leaning backward with the body. Is impossible to do that weight like doing 20kg for example.