Am I too tall/heavy/old to start this?

Started by optik169, August 6, 2012 · 7 Replies · 4,214 Views

optik169

Hello. I'm 24 years old, 6'5", and 210 lbs. Am I too tall/heavy/old to start gymnastic work?

I'm kind of at that rocky starting point where I need to decide how to start, whether it be training at home or finding someone to instruct me. I don't ever intend to compete, it's just for me.

dzejkej

No, you are not too tall/heavy/old to start with gymnastics. There are taller, older and heavier who are very very good :).

How to start? Read sticky topics in Getting Started section and post any questions you have. Don't forget to read this post.

Blairbob

No, especially as your goals are just fitness and as a recreational past time.

Craig Mallett

You are never ever too old/heavy/injured/tall/any other symptom to start movement as long as you approach it properly and with patience and diligence.

click here for video

Erik Sjolin

No, you're not too old/tall/heavy.

If you can, I would recommend finding someone to teach you (or at least train with). Learning this stuff on your own is difficult, and it's very easy to make mistakes that'll come back to bite you.

optik169

That's what I'm currently wondering. It would be a great help to find an instructor, even if it's only once a week or once every two weeks. I guess for now I can build up my basic strength while looking for a gym.

FREDERIC DUPONT

Yes, you are too tall, too heavy, and especially too old for any sort of gymnastics training...

Just kidding! :lol:

What everyone else said, get started and then, one day at a time... consistency beats everything else! :D

Scott Malin
FredInChina said:
Yes, you are too tall, too heavy, and especially too old for any sort of gymnastics training...

Just kidding! :lol:

What everyone else said, get started and then, one day at a time... consistency beats everything else! :D

Agreed, consistency is key. To borrow a quote from Coach: "more dreams have failed to be fulfilled due to a lack of perseverance then were ever lost due to a lack of talent or opportunity."