Hello all,
I'm wondering if it is important to keep the scapulae depressed during a hanging leg lift or if I can safely perform this exercise in a complete dead hang. The exercise in question is the full straight leg HLL using a standard shoulder-length pronated grip. I also use ankle weights for them in every workout. I have always done this exercise with depressed shoulders and normally don't have any issues. But occasionally after a very difficult round of many pulling exercises, my lower traps can be too fatigued to make it through all of my HLL sets.
My guess would be that it's not safe to dead hang, especially with weights, because of the stress placed on the shoulder joint at the L and V positions, but I'd need clarification.
This has been on my mind ever since I began working out, so I'm not sure why I waited until now to ask!