Handstand

Started by Mark Bernacchi, August 5, 2012 · 5 Replies · 1,896 Views

Mark Bernacchi

xk6ZxPy2J9w

My handstand balance has improved quite a bit in the last few weeks and this weekend I kind of had an ah ha moment in balancing so I wanted to ask about my line. It looks to me like my shoulders are a little closed and hips slightly piked, do you agree?

Sorry about the walk in it, just took a couple steps to get balanced.

Thanks!

yuri marmerstein

The HS itself looks good, just needs a bit more hip extension

I do want to comment on the way you get up into it. Notice how right before your hands get to the ground, your shoulders drop. Then the moment you get up in HS you already have closed shoulders and are leaning forward.

For HS where your only goal is to balance, I propose to start with your hands already on the ground, your shoulders in front of your hands, and your hips behind. Then when you kick the shoulders open as the hips go up. I think this was is much easier and has less variables.

blackbird

Your handstand alignment at 24 sec is nice overall. You just need to open your hips a little bit, and point your toes.

Also don't forget to keep everything tight, but that comes with practice.

Mark Bernacchi

Thanks for the replies, I was doing a little much on my wrists shortly after posting so I have not been able to try your suggestion until recently. Now my tendency is to open my shoulders to much because of my level of flexibility, but I'm definitely going to keep working on this way to kick up as well because it has taught me how to fight for the balance when I do open my shoulders too much and start getting close to a mexican handstand. (sidenote: I've held the mexican for 3-5 seconds a couple times just trying to fight it back to a handstand which was pretty cool :D )

I also think that my slightly piked hips was coming from trying to hollow too hard, by looking at pictures and video of myself I've noticed that what I thought to be not hollow enough was still a flat back.

Balance has been getting much better and I'll hopefully post another video in a few weeks to see the progress.

Thanks again for the tips!

yuri marmerstein

Because of your advanced flexibility, you really have to remember what 180 degrees feels like, because you don't really want to go past on a regular basis for the sake of your shoulder health

My suggestion would be the hanging from a bar alignment drill I use, as this is a nice way to get gravity to help you feel the position.

Are you going to the seminar?

Mark Bernacchi

Good idea, I'll start working those.

Unfortunately I don't have enough money right now, definitely will try for May though!