coaching for airflare?

Started by leeaw, August 4, 2012 · 4 Replies · 2,688 Views

leeaw

I know that there are some excellent coaches and technicians in this forum and I just realized that perhaps someone here might be able to analyze and give feedback for the move I'm working on, even though it's a move that usually falls outside the domain of gymnastics. I've been working on airflares for quite some time. I've seen many different methods for doing the move and tried them all. I don't know if I'm deficient in certain muscle groups or what, but I would love for you guys to take a look and let me know where you think the trouble spots might be. Here's a link to my youtube page: http://www.youtube.com/user/lee2infiniti/videos

Thank you very much!

Lee

leeaw

anyone?

Mikael Kristiansen

You have 1 pretty good. Learn to connect it to flare before you try to go for 2. You can already fall into flare, but learn to really controll and swing into flare, because it will give you more control before going for 2 airflares. You are currently landing a bit too low to be able to throw the second and the reason is that your kick does not go high enough. You are doing them quite low, which is good in the long term because you wont need to fix the form, but getting many is harder. Its not about throwing with more speed or force, that will probably just make it worse, but try to bring your left leg literally more towards your face when you land. Imagine landing in an L kick. That will keep your center of mass higher so you can swing through properly again. Look at the clip of bbog Gato when he does 61 rounds, and compare his landings to the clip number 6 that you have on your youtube account. Its not neccesary to have as perfect a landing as him when you land, but thinking about that should help you. Like i said, its not about adding power to the legs, but about where you imagine your swing to end. Even when you are in the air, continue pulling your leg towards your face. But like I said, also spend time on learning to enter flare with power from it.

Airflares are horrible to learn. It took me ages and I still cant do 10+ every time. Getting the hang of the push and the swing is tricky, but those who get the hang of it intuitively have no problems at all, while the rest can spend years and years not getting anywhere.

leeaw

Thanks for the advice. I was working on them yesterday and really trying to keep my right leg close and my left leg up as I land. I was able to do two with my right foot scraping a little. As you said, I think it's really the leg position, especially the left leg, that is critical. Thanks again.

Alessandro Mainente

handbalancer said rigth things. there is a another post under your where we did come corrections wich are necessary for airflare.

the secret for everymoves wich use the legs motion of airflare is maintain the swinging leg after the jump above the head until the other arm is very near to catch the floor. do one airflare the stop in handstand. then learn al the transition to flare, to the 1990 and to windmill. if you can see your last video on your channel you can se how your legs fall after the first round but you can do flare if you want so you are high to do elbowairflare, try to do that forcing yourself to maintain the swingin legs high.

as a flare i've learned it adding a little portion of the skill, 1/4 on round or 1/2. in this way i've learned one round in a month, the biggest problem comes between the rounds 2 and 3. the same was for me for elbowairflare. at least 3-4 months to do the third round with tecnique and not speed. now i'm waintin to heal form elbows problem to returnt o practice boths..