Video: Please critique my form (one hand push-up)!

Started by Le_singe, August 4, 2012 · 3 Replies · 1,766 Views

Le_singe

Hi!

I actually just registered to ask this one thing but might hang around some more after looking around, seems like a nice board :)

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2rffok1&s=6 <-- link to a short video of me performing one hand pushups (SFW).

I use this exercise to develop my chest when I am gym-less. Please feel free to comment on my form in general and specifically in terms of injury prevention:

1. Should I be concerned about my shoulder health with the arm flared out like in the video (imitating most lying dumbell press instructionals out there) or is the angle ok given my overall form and that I haven't had any problems so far?

2. If I were to tuck the arm more towards the body - say 45 degrees - what difference would it make in terms of muscles activated (i.e. more/less pecs/delts/tric/serratus/lats)?

3. For shoulder health, should I work more dynamically retracting/protracting the shoulders or is my form ok?

4. Would higher feet positioning, adding a rubber band or resetting from the floor with only one foot touching be my safest option shoulder-wise for progression in pressing strength?

Thanks a lot!

Le_singe

Bump?

Dunte

Allow the shoulder to set a more neutral position--when the belly of the upper arm (medial face of the triceps & biceps) is nearer your torso, the lats can more effectively transfer tension through the engaged deltoids.

For increasing difficulty/benefit, initially focus on slowing your descent. When this is done under control, then work on push-pause during the ascent. Again, when you can stop 2-3 times on the way up, then work on "dead start" OA pushes (courtesy Pavel Tsatsouline): doing so helps the neuromuscular elements of generating maximum tension and force.

After all those things, then consider elevating your feet more.

The OA push looks good now, and is a reflection of solid work put in. Those tips above are foundational, and will improve your progress if given due attention.

Best luck!

If you like, consider my hastily shot video below: notice the back-hand fist squeezing, as this is a method for generating more tension!

kb6H78upHWw

Le_singe

Thanks a ton, that´s some nice feedback! :)