This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 120802

Started by Coach Sommer, August 2, 2012 · 8 Replies · 1,938 Views

Coach Sommer

Complete 3 sets of each:

1 Embedded L-sit + 5 Tempo Russian Dips

1 Embedded BL + 5 Tempo Half Reverse MU

1 Embedded FL + 5 Tempo Russian HLL

Finish the workout with 10 Bridge Wall Walks

notes:

1) Warm-up by performing 2-3 easier Curl/Dip variations prior to beginning your working sets. The variations used should initially begin with one that is quite easy and then get progressively more difficult from warm-up set to warm-up set.

2) Choose a body position for the embedded static strength variation that allows you to hold the position for 15 seconds per rep.

3) Rest 10-20 seconds between the embedded static and the subsequent exercise. Rest 1-2 minutes in between giant sets.

4) Use a tempo of 323 for the basic strength sets.

5) This is a maximal bent arm strength day, do not be timid in increasing the intensity; add weight as needed to make the exercises very challenging for the rx’d repetitions.

6) However also feel free to scale the workout by substituting another exercise from the same movement family if necessary.

7) DO NOT skip the Bridge Wall Walks at the end of the Workout.

Josh Schmitter
ewethestuff said:
Notes: felt like crap today. Have eaten poorly this week, slept badly and couldn't work out until past midnight.
I've been there on the feeling like crap/eating poorly/sleeping badly. I can honestly say that eating almost 100% clean(all whole foods, no processed anything) for going on 2 months now has had major effects in my recovery/sleep/digestion/overall well being. I have not been there on the working out after midnight however...so you can have that time all to yourself :).
ewethestuff said:

- Of all things, forearms were first to eat it today. Not enough rest from the 3m of supine dead hang in the warm up?

PreFSP: 3x40s with 30s rest between positions, 2m between sets. PB Support and Dead Hang were 3x60s.

Welcome to the "forearms dictate every other exercise you do for your upper body" club :). Well you can at least be an honorary member for today. And yes the Dead hangs could have pre-fried them(or at least brought up the pan to a good temp.), especially if you just upped it to 60s recently.

=================================================================================================

PreReqs=Superset of:3x60Plank,3x20sarch, 3x30sup, 3x40 hollow, 3x45 dead, 3x20 rev. Pl. Hollow/Arch arms down/back respectively) No rest between round 1+2, 1min for 3rd. Pushed hard today, but still felt really good. Also Wrist Routine pushups felt really good.

WOD:

3 sets of each:Rx'd Rests

15s Lsit(90/90) + 5 Tempo Chair dips(foot supported in front)

15s GH(foot assist) + 5 Tempo Chins(orange band)

15s L-sit Hang(90/60) + 5 Tempo Bent/Half HLL(4+1, 3+2, 3+2)

10 BWW(Did a little more depth today)

Notes:

Felt super on today. L-sit/Chair dips felt like perfect scaling. GH felt really good, also lowered in and did full for about 5s before foot assist. Chins were really rough last few reps of last round, but felt good. Unfortunately I forgot to do the HLL as my first round, so my forearms were fried as per usual, i.e. all broken sets. I still really don't get the chance to feel this in my abs much as my forearms preclude that as of yet, but I still feel it's important to focus on the weak(er) link, rather than do something else to cheat the grip part. They did feel slightly better than usual today, however. Haven't felt this good during/after a WO in a good while.

Paulo

Going to try this workout when I get home, but was wondering, is it possible to do Russian HLL on the Rings? or is this a stall bar exercise only? In a previous thread you mentioned subbing a single bar and having a spotter help, but I'm solo here and don't want to scale down the exercise. Thanks in advance,

Paul

Josh Schmitter
Paulo said:
Going to try this workout when I get home, but was wondering, is it possible to do Russian HLL on the Rings? or is this a stall bar exercise only? In a previous thread you mentioned subbing a single bar and having a spotter help, but I'm solo here and don't want to scale down the exercise. Thanks in advance,

Paul

I am just thinking out loud here, but I imaging if you could set your rings up just in front of a wall(or put over a door and close the door) you'd have something close.

ewethestuff said:
You keep inviting me to clubs I don't want to join! haha

I was surprised by the forearm weakness - have climbed 3 days a week for years, and this is the first time I've felt them while doing GB stuff. Have been neglecting endurance in favor of bouldering power, I plan to correct that with long painful traversing in the near future.

Good job with the food by the way, it does make a big difference. Are you following the WOD's a few days behind, or just posting later?

Ha. It's not so much an 'invitation' as a 'congrats and bask in the joy of obligatory membership' :). I fell back on the WOD's a little while ago, so I'm playing catch up.

Jon Douglas
Paulo said:
Going to try this workout when I get home, but was wondering, is it possible to do Russian HLL on the Rings? or is this a stall bar exercise only? In a previous thread you mentioned subbing a single bar and having a spotter help, but I'm solo here and don't want to scale down the exercise. Thanks in advance,

Paul

I did hanging leg lifts, pulled up to inverted hang being careful not to let my feet past me (counterbalance makes it easier) and slow negative FL from there. It's not perfect, and it requires you to pay attention during the HLL and pull up, but it definitely gave me a core workout.

Vincent Stoyas
Charm said:
Paulo said:
Going to try this workout when I get home, but was wondering, is it possible to do Russian HLL on the Rings? or is this a stall bar exercise only? In a previous thread you mentioned subbing a single bar and having a spotter help, but I'm solo here and don't want to scale down the exercise. Thanks in advance,

Paul

I did hanging leg lifts, pulled up to inverted hang being careful not to let my feet past me (counterbalance makes it easier) and slow negative FL from there. It's not perfect, and it requires you to pay attention during the HLL and pull up, but it definitely gave me a core workout.

HLL do not require inverted hang, do they? Just hang from the bar and lift your legs to either horizontal or continue all the way to a V.

Performed 8/9/12

HeS -> bent arm planche adv. tuck -> L sit tuck - 5 Russian Dips (5, 5, 3+2)

Inverted hang -> lower to FL tuck -> IH -> BL tuck - 5 tempo chins

2 negative FL, first adv tuck and then tuck -> HLL (half)

Russian Dips were brutal, but very fun. It's weird I just developed the strength to do one last week and now I'm up to almost 3 sets of 5.

Chins are brutal. I suck at pulling...

HLL have to be done with tempo. I did the tempo today and they become so brutal. I don't know why i didn't think of doing them with tempo before.

Jon Douglas
Vincearoo said:
Charm said:
Paulo said:
Going to try this workout when I get home, but was wondering, is it possible to do Russian HLL on the Rings? or is this a stall bar exercise only? In a previous thread you mentioned subbing a single bar and having a spotter help, but I'm solo here and don't want to scale down the exercise. Thanks in advance,

Paul

I did hanging leg lifts, pulled up to inverted hang being careful not to let my feet past me (counterbalance makes it easier) and slow negative FL from there. It's not perfect, and it requires you to pay attention during the HLL and pull up, but it definitely gave me a core workout.

HLL do not require inverted hang, do they? Just hang from the bar and lift your legs to either horizontal or continue all the way to a V.

The rx'd WoD was for Russian HLL, see the link in Coach's post. So the sub I used was to hang from the rings, strict HLL, pull up to inverted hang between them, and lower in FL. It's not quite the pseudo-body lever in Russian HLL on stall bars, but it approaches it.

EDIT: Sorry, the link wasn't in the WoD post. Video here; viewtopic.php?f=13&t=876#p3824

Vincent Stoyas
Charm said:

EDIT: Sorry, the link wasn't in the WoD post. Video here; http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/vi ... =876#p3824

Ah, you're right! I guess I should've read over that thread, I only glanced at it once long ago because it is a stall bar variation.

Thank you.

Jon Douglas

All good~ I am looking forward to trying these more strictly with a friend holding my shoulders in line sometime.