2012 Olympics

Started by Kevin Oka, July 28, 2012 · 24 Replies · 6,305 Views

Kevin Oka

Who's watching? What countries are you rooting for?

USA, Japan, China, and Germany for me!

Joshua Naterman

I loved the opening ceremonies! Certainly not the most exciting overall, but top of the list on creativity, ingenuity and artistic historical depth in many areas.

I'll be cheering for John Orozco, and all my favorite gymnasts. Curious to see the swim races between the American men. Not quite sure what else I specifically want to watch. Well, besides the track and field events!

Joachim Nagler

I'll try to watch the gymnastics events of course :) Maybe some swimming events too.

I'll be rooting for Philipp Boy and all the german athletes, but wish all others luck as well.

Blairbob

I'm sure I'll split time between gymnastics and T&F. Moreso, I want to watch the Olympic Lifting but I'm sure I will set aside some time to watch the Female Gymnasts. Less so for the men, though I do want to see other countries. Pretty much expecting Uchimura to crush.

Kevin Oka

I have high hopes for Uchimura too, along with all the US men's. Gymnastics of course is my top pick.

I also want to watch the lifting, swimming and maybe some boxing or judo.

The opening was VERY creative, though I think a lot of the British cultural references would go over most of today's generation...

Blairbob

Judo will be fun but I'd rather watch pro boxing.

It's somewhat interesting to watch AA but I really prefer to watch the best of the best, especially event specialists.

Matth Challoner

Unfortunately spanish television is mainly broadcasting team sports, however I would like to watch the gymnastics, weightlifting, sprinting...

dzejkej
Matth said:
Unfortunately spanish television is mainly broadcasting team sports, however I would like to watch the gymnastics, weightlifting, sprinting...

I posted a "guide" how to watch Olympics online. See this.

Chris Edgar

Ahhh! What a fantastic result for team GB and the home crowd!!! Max Whitlock must be pretty happy right now being in the podium squad aged 19! I don't think anyone expected that! :D:D:D

dzejkej
Chris Edgar said:
Ahhh! What a fantastic result for team GB and the home crowd!!!

Yeah, that was job well done.

Chris Edgar said:
I don't think anyone expected that! :D:D:D

I'm sure Team USA was not expecting that after winning qualification ...

Also poor Ukraine .. that was a cold shower for them :(.

Cole Dano

Why was Uchimura was credited for that pommel horse dismount in the protest?

Chris Edgar

I think the roar of the crowd, as Purvis was on floor at the same time, had something to do swaying the judges opinion to be completely honest, must be quite off putting when it erupts like that mid routine... it was borderline.

Kevin Oka

*SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THEM YET*

I'm honestly surprised China still pulled a gold after their dismal performance at the preliminaries. But I'm still glad for them :wink: , they earned it.

I'm glad Japan ranked as high as they did, I have to route for my other country. But I'm honestly sad that the USA wasn't able to pull a medal out of it, but I'm still proud of how they did nonetheless. I'll be back, I'm going to watch more :)

Cole Dano
dzejkej said:
Cole Dano said:
Why was Uchimura was credited for that pommel horse dismount in the protest?

The only post I found so far coming close to explaining what happened is this one:

http://uncletimtalksmensgym.blogspot.sk ... iasco.html

That was a reasonable explanation, thanks. Too bad the D panel blew it, heartbreaking for the Ukrainians.

Chris Edgar

Oh that makes far more sense, I felt sorry for him when the crowd screamed at random bursts (Purvis sticking the landings during his tumbling passes) throughout his routine, part and parcel of gymnastics at this level i guess...

Matth Challoner
dzejkej said:
Matth said:
Unfortunately spanish television is mainly broadcasting team sports, however I would like to watch the gymnastics, weightlifting, sprinting...

I post a "guide" how to watch Olympics online. See this.

Yeah I read that thread, thanks :D

Kevin Oka

So is it just me, or was the rings portion never aired :?: I swear I watched all of it on NBC and never once saw rings, only them doing it in the background. Sucks because rings are my favorite, along with high bar.

dzejkej
okaxmasato said:
So is it just me, or was the rings portion never aired :?: I swear I watched all of it on NBC and never once saw rings, only them doing it in the background. Sucks because rings are my favorite, along with high bar.

I watched BBC archived stream and there were rings. So NBC was only airing cut version of the finals? If yes you can always watch the full version on BBC :).

Billy Cook

You can see the "ring channel" on nbcolympics.com. It shows the ring competition only. :)

Kevin Oka

Cool! Thanks guys, NBC sucks I guess. Everything did seem really crammed together.

dzejkej

http://www.london2012.com/news/articles ... rough.html

Pistorius became the first double-amputee to compete in the Olympics and Paralympics when he ran in heat one.

The athlete known as 'Blade Runner' due to his prosthetic legs finished second in 45.44.

Sailor Venus
blackbird said:

tumblr_m8afbdPC5Q1qikcuzo1_400.gif

POMMEL HELICOPTER!!!!!!!!!! YEE-HAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!