Partial presses or "hip lifts"

Started by Aaron Griffin, July 18, 2012 · 11 Replies · 4,223 Views

Aaron Griffin

There was a video posted on here a while back of a guy in a front support position on a kitchen counter, who proceeds to lift his hips up, resulting in a "pike stand" or something of the sort.

Is this exercise the best way to train that body control? I'd like to be able to do that to some extent. I played with the movement on the rings (because I had nothing else the right height at the time) and it resulted in some sort of odd straight-legged tuck planche thing - I clearly don't have the strength to lift higher.

In short: I just think it'd be a fun thing to learn, and want to know the best way to build this strength/skill. Ideas?

yuri marmerstein

The easiest way s to start on pbars, hands on the bar and feet right behind your hands with straight legs.

Then from there lift your hips until your feel no longer touch the bars, then lower down to an Lsit as slow as possible. If you cannnot get back up, just repeat the slow negatives.

Aaron Griffin

What if I don't have p-bars? Should I be doing this on some apparatus which does not allow my legs to slide against something?

Blairbob

These are commonly done by girls on a single bar for strength. Front support press to feet to end in a squat/pike on. Not all that easy but a good drill.

Aaron Griffin
Blairbob said:
These are commonly done by girls on a single bar for strength. Front support press to feet to end in a squat/pike on. Not all that easy but a good drill.

So just to make sure I have my nomenclature right, a "front support" is with a bar at about waist height, yes? As in the beginning of a single-bar dip?

Blairbob

Yep, on top of the bar resting on the hips with the bar in front of you. Shrug your shoulders up so it's on your hip bones and not your privates. Don't worry since the press is slow, I don't really have problems squishing anything and neither should you. Briefs or boxer briefs. Not a fan of the boxers in gym.

Aaron Griffin

Ok, so couple of questions:


  • [*:1avrup1z]You said this is usually a drill for girls. Is that just your experience, or do boys generally not need specific training in this? (rephrase: am I a weak little girl?)
    [*:1avrup1z]I find myself able to press my hips to about shoulder height, but not more. Is there something I'm missing, or some other more useful way to train pressing beyond that? Or is it simply a matter of trying over and over

Blairbob

Do it a lot.

Well, one boys don't really work squat/pike ons in their routines. As well, generally there may be only 1 or 2 Men's HB in a gym. Versus more UB in a gym and lots of single rails.

Mikael Kristiansen

Loads of negatives on pbars/from handstand is the best way to get there. Also general press hs work like box presses works well. It is all about shoulder alignment/strength and compresion ability. If you feel your abs screaming as you do negatives, you are doing something right. One thing a lot of people underestimate when they want to learn to press hs or the like, is actually working a lot on the handstand itself. The better control, strength, position and awareness you build in handstand, the easier it will be to get solid at pressing. Im not saying you should have a perfect handstand before learning to press, but that it is a closely linked process.

Sailor Venus
yuri said:
The easiest way s to start on pbars, hands on the bar and feet right behind your hands with straight legs.

Then from there lift your hips until your feel no longer touch the bars, then lower down to an Lsit as slow as possible. If you cannnot get back up, just repeat the slow negatives.

is it alright to lean forward to help lift the hips or would that ruin the drill?

Coach Sommer
Sailor Venus said:
is it alright to lean forward to help lift the hips or would that ruin the drill?

It would ruin the drill.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer