Was wondering if anyone here has experience with water running? Yesterday was killer hot and today as well, so I decided to run in the pool, the shallow end. It is a small pool and after about 5 laps, maybe a 30 foot circle at different speeds, I start generating a current so reversed direction. Fighting that current took some effort! It certainly seemed more of a muscular than an aerobic workout - my HR never got over 100 - and I did 2*25 laps. I broke it with swimming 25 sprinting lengths which was overall
an invigorating full body workout on a hot, hot day!
My legs and arms felt heavy early the next day (today) but have lightened since then.
Reading http://www.humankinetics.com/excerpts/e ... er-running it seems that deep water running is more of an aerobic workout perhaps as there's less of a pause with no bottom contact. No push-off is possible. My pool is a bit shallow for that though. Studies of deep water running I believe show that it is good enough to maintain running performance though not improve it. I beleve it's more used for rehab purposes?
Which do you think would be a better muscular lower-body workout, shallow or deep?