This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Australian Seminar (July '12) Follow Up

Started by Craig Mallett, July 16, 2012 · 17 Replies · 197 Views

Craig Mallett

Hi Guys,

Figured I would make a thread for us to make sense of some of our notes and put any questions we might have forgotten to ask Coach.

Does anyone remember what SE1 in the Hollow Back progression was? I have it listed as CR1 but I can't for the life of me remember what that means!

Thanks guys!

Craig

EDIT: updated naming, thanks

Bobby Bogdanovski

Hey Craig. I have Hollow Body Hold as the first step in the FL progression before Hollow Body Rocks. Do you mean what the timing progression is? I dont remember the Hollow Body Hold being broken down further but i could be wrong.

Mark Bernacchi

If you mean Hollowback/Bowers and not Hollow body, I'm guessing you meant Chest Roll 1

Craig Mallett

Oh yeah chest roll! That was just a seal position then roll on chest to HeSPU right? Sorry yes I meant the Hollow Back/Bower progressions

Bobby Bogdanovski

Ahhh k. I left a little early that day so I missed the chest roll section.

Bobby Bogdanovski

Does anyone know what series of progressions coach said we should complete before beginning L-sit work? I'm thinking it's the FL progression but up to which step?

Craig Mallett

Hi Bobby,

I believe L-sit was part of the Manna progressions, i think it went something like Prep Elements>L-Sit>Straddle-L>middle Split hold>Manna.

Ill double check my notes once im home and confirm for you.

Scott Malin
Craig said:
Hi Bobby,

I believe L-sit was part of the Manna progressions, i think it went something like Prep Elements>L-Sit>Straddle-L>middle Split hold>Manna.

Ill double check my notes once im home and confirm for you.

The order is:

V-Up -> HLL -> L-sit -> Straddle L -> Direct Manna work

Bobby Bogdanovski

Thanks guys

juiop

Unfortunately my attempts at writing notes during the seminar failed again. Well, I have notes but i can hardly read my own writing.

Can someone help me with the following:

1. I know what FL/PL/MN/SL/SLS is but I am not entirely sure as to what HB/RC is. I am guessing RC is Ring Conditioning, am I right? What exactly is HB though?

2. What is the first two or so Prep Elements for HB & SL? I am not sure what goes where. If you could also add the Integrated Mobility exercises, that would be great!

Thanks for the help guys :)

Craig Mallett
juiop said:
Unfortunately my attempts at writing notes during the seminar failed again. Well, I have notes but i can hardly read my own writing.

Can someone help me with the following:

1. I know what FL/PL/MN/SL/SLS is but I am not entirely sure as to what HB/RC is. I am guessing RC is Ring Conditioning, am I right? What exactly is HB though?

2. What is the first two or so Prep Elements for HB & SL? I am not sure what goes where. If you could also add the Integrated Mobility exercises, that would be great!

Thanks for the help guys :)

HB = Hollowback. These are called Bowers in the old book I think:

prep elements are: Push ups (just follow the PU progressions in the first book), Dips, HeSPU, HSPU. There are some other elements in there too.

SL = Side Lever

we didnt go through the prep elements for side lever, however the first specific element is I think called a side lever box hold? basically just holding yourself square to the stall bars with one are up and one arm down.

I've typed my notes up now, shoot me an email and I will send them to you.

Cheers,

Craig

Cole Dano

RC = Rope Climb

Paul Stacey

Hi guys,

It was a great seminar! Afterwards I reconfigured my training program to the 5 day template outlined by Coach. I also scaled back the exercises I was doing to the preparatory exercises described.

In doing so one issue I grappled with was "fixed time" Unlike Craig who's time is more "variable" (ie he does an extra 1 to 3 hours of martial arts training on top of GB training) I can only spare a total 60 to 75 mins per day ie my total available time is "fixed"at 60 to 75 mins.

Under the new templates training volume is increased progressively. For example, to gradually build up to 5 x 60 secs one starts at 1 x 12 secs. That also means that the amount of time taken to complete the exercises also increases over the 3 months cycle. So if, for example, my target after 3 months was to be able to 10 exercises each for 60 seconds ie 1 hour my total training time in week 1 would be 120 seconds (10 x 12 secs) or 2 minutes. Now, I know that example is unduly simplistic ie it doesn't take account of different targets for different exercises, mobility work, rest time etc. But, the point it highlights is that if I'm currently training an hour a day there will be a massive drop in training volume in the short term. That is something which I didn't want to have.

My solution was to build into the training programme complementary exercises to bulk out the training volume to an hour in the early weeks of the cycle. The plan is then to gradually phase these out over the course of the 3 month cycle. That is, as the time taken to complete the PEs increases I will scale back the time spent on the complementary exercises so as to keep a constant 60-75 min session.

Not sure if anyone else has had to work through that issue. But, that's how I dealt with and hope the above summary is of some benefit.

Cheers

Paul

Craig Mallett

Yeah I just noticed that this week, I've had to increase the time spent each week.

At the moment my schedule for strength work looks something like this:

Warm up:

Wrist pushups x 5 varieties

Shoulder dislocates

wall extensions

German hang x 60s

Wall HS 3 x 30s

Then I either do (FL, PL, HB, RC prep elements) OR (MN, SL, SLS, prep elements + Dynamic Work)

Im cranking through this without rest at the moment, so its only taking a little over 30 minutes, but as it gets harder/longer, i imagine it will take over an hour.

Steve Parris

Has anyone seen our photos from the seminar yet. If so where are they??

Thanks

Steve Parris

Tim Webber

I have only seen two on the facebook page. I put a comment asking if we would be seeing more soon on the first one to go up but have heard nothing else

Craig Mallett

Thanks Cory and also Kit for taking loads of awesome photos :D