Hey everybody,
I would like some advice concerning books and educational material that has to do with the human body. I have had a couple of recommendations from Cole Dano and Cory Fair in the past but anybody's input would be great. I have waited a while until I saved up enough money to be able to purchase some good quality educational material. In case it is helpful, as far as knowledge/experience/understanding goes, I am a college kid. Don't know if that will affect what level of books I can handle as far as being able to understand and comprehend concepts but I wanted to throw that out there anyway.
Also, whether I go on to become a physical therapist ( my overall master plan and what I think I want to do the most) or become something like a college instructor and teach exercise physiology/anatomy and physiology/human movement and biomechanics, I want to be able to put to use the information and concepts in books/materials in a real-life scenario. I don't wan't just theory, I want to learn how apply these things to myself and others and put them into practice.
Here is a list of the areas that I am interested in learning about and developing.
1. strength training/exercise science and physiology
2. anatomy and physiology
3. human movement/biomechanics
4. manual therapy
5. mechanisms of injuries and how to rehabilitate as well as prevent them
6. fascial system/myofascial system/soft-tissues how to address/treat disorders in this area
7. posture/alignment/tension-length relationships even though as Cole Dano said there is no way to decide what is ideal
8.neuromuscular re-programming and re-patterning specifically as Joshua Naterman and Nic Branson have been talking about teaching the body to move properly
Again, I want very much to take what is in the material and apply it with success in real-life. I want to educate myself in these areas, and then work on fixing my own movement dysfunctions, injuries, soft-tissues, flexibility, alignment, etc. and then bring it all together to as Joshua Naterman would say, "building a truly amazing functional body".
I want to fix my body and help those around me who are interested and don't know how ( as I am right now). I feel that I need to do this mostly myself, to truly understand and know my own body, to fix problems with my body that others can't just due to them not being able to sense internal physiological feelings and sensations going on in me like anybody else. I want to do this, would do this, and will do this even if I am unable to or choose not to become some sort of therapist. I simply want to be totally functional, totally well, and evenutally very athletic when my body is ready.
It will be a neat journey. It already is frustrating. It no doubt will continue to be frustrating for quite some time. But it is possible, if they don't mind me using them as examples, Joshua Naterman, Nic Branson, and Cole Dano among others are living examples of this. I want this too.
So, any advice/ recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Cody Hahn