Single Leg Squat, Maintaining Extension?

Started by Killahmanjaro, July 12, 2012 · 6 Replies · 1,950 Views

Killahmanjaro

I am curious as to whether it is possible to perform a SLS with the back extended throughout the entire ROM. When I began performing SLS’s my back was significantly rounded and although I’ve made great strides to stay upright I am still rounding my lumbar spine. I am really looking for optimal efficiency when jumping from the bottom of a SLS but also I have had lumbar issues and would like to avoid anything that might aggravate it again. If I hold a weight for counterbalance I can maintain a posture that’s close to neutral however it becomes much more difficult to jump with a weight in my hand. In BTGB your athletes shown have a round in the spine so I am wondering if this is possible to achieve a neutral more extended spine, allowing the glutes and Hamstrings to drive out of the hole.

Is this a matter of continuing to work at the bottom position to ensure my back erectors overpower my hip flexors or will there always be a slight round in the lower back?

Any insight is appreciated

Joshua Naterman

Once you get to where your legs touch your stomach, the back will round. This is fine, because the back is now supported by the thigh.As you come up, it should naturally straighten back out. If you are bending before this, you are either weak somewhere (probably glutes) and trying to gain leverage unintentionally, or you have flexibility issues that need to be addressed.

Nic Branson

Also as you discovered with the counter weight a bit of a balance issue. Keep working at it.

Killahmanjaro

OK

I just tried it again and,for the most part, my back remains extended right up until I hit my thigh. Ill keep working to extended the hips ALL the way down to the thigh. I still cannot perform the squat without the counter weight, but I feel this is an ankle issue as when I raise the heel I can decend much easier into the hole while my back feels stronger driving out.

I have been working to stretch the calf by putting one leg on a box, fully flexing the leg and then attempting to pin my heel down while leaning forward as much as possible. Also been trying to sit at the bottom of the squat for time, but agian need the damn counter weight.

Thanks for the advice, any other calf stretches to add?

Killahmanjaro

Great Drill! Thanks Boss.

Nic Branson

Glad to help!