Mobile version of forums

Started by Vincent Stoyas, July 9, 2012 · 13 Replies · 4,256 Views

Vincent Stoyas

Any chance of these forums getting more friendly to cellphones? That would be great! I understand if it's too much work though, I was just wondering.

Ian Myers

I second this! :)

Scott Malin

Short answer: no.

Long answer: We've got projects underway to greatly improve the website, forums and store. Unfortunately, these things take time to do, especially when there is extensive PhP development involved. When they do all roll out, however, it'll be a completely new and streamlined experience. :)

With regards to viewing the forums on a mobile device, is your problem more with load time or simply that the posts appear too big and require you to zoom/scroll to read them?

Vincent Stoyas

Surfing the site if just fine. Load times are good and it's easy to read. Posting is the difficult part. The box is too big and forces an odd zoom in on it. You can't read half of what you say until you finish and then attempting to correct the typos is another great hassle in itself.

Thanks for your time! :)

Scott Malin
Vincearoo said:
Surfing the site if just fine. Load times are good and it's easy to read. Posting is the difficult part. The box is too big and forces an odd zoom in on it. You can't read half of what you say until you finish and then attempting to correct the typos is another great hassle in itself.

Thanks for your time! :)

Which mobile platform is your phone on? Sometimes the text field issue is more a problem with the OS than the individual site. However, I can enable integration with Tapatalk's forum application. I haven't it used it much personally, but provided that the code is sound, it might benefit you as an interim means for mobile forum use. I'll look into it in the morning for you.

Vincent Stoyas

I'm using an android phone. Tapatalk would be very nice. Thanks again for the concern!

crashnburn
Cory Fair said:

Which mobile platform is your phone on? Sometimes the text field issue is more a problem with the OS than the individual site. However, I can enable integration with Tapatalk's forum application. I haven't it used it much personally, but provided that the code is sound, it might benefit you as an interim means for mobile forum use. I'll look into it in the morning for you.

I've been using Tapatalk for several forums. Its great for iOS/ iPad app based forum access. 

 

Did you get a chance to enable it? 

LateStarter@46

Seems like it has as my GB window started this morning with it

Ravn

Hmm, is there a 'new content' function in tapatalk? My feed doesn't really generate anything GB-related, even though I've subscribed and am monitoring both the private and public forums...

LateStarter@46

I'm rather distrustful of unexpected windows appearing, so I didn't click on it but used a public thread to get in. Now my GB windows have a Tapatalk bar at the top for downloading the app. If you think it's useful Ravn, I might take the plunge :-)

Urgh! This is a 666th post, I don't think I'll download it after all ;-)

Ravn

I've downloaded the app, but don't get any GB'related stuff in my feed, so right now it isn't very useful. I'm sure I just need to make the effort and find out how it works. That'll have to wait for the weekend...

MT Nordic

To update this...I really like it! At first it seemed a little tricky, but once your signed in and look at it under timeline view it works great. You get notifications of all the topics you're subscribed to as well. Much better for the mobile user. Thanks Cory.

William Str

Has there been any changes to the forum setup lately, because now I cannot get tapatalk to work properly. Anyone else using it now?

 

For me, it is a very convenient way to access the forum "on the go"!

 

-William

Cory Fair
William Str said:

Has there been any changes to the forum setup lately, because now I cannot get tapatalk to work properly. Anyone else using it now?

 

For me, it is a very convenient way to access the forum "on the go"!

 

-William

 

Tapatalk is unfortunately incompatible with the ability to login to the forums with your course credentials and so is no longer supported for a while. We are about to release a major update to the forums which includes responsive design to make the mobile experience better.