This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 120706

Started by Coach Sommer, July 6, 2012 · 11 Replies · 1,941 Views

Coach Sommer

K7DaRCQh0lY

Perform:

2x10 Cast Wall Walks

2x5 Pike Box Press HS

2x10 Straddle Box Press HS

10 minutes of HS Wall Runs

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

notes:

1) Rest 1-2 minutes between Press HS sets.

2) If Cast Wall Walks are insufficiently challenging, you may perform PL Wall Walks instead. The key difference between these two variations is that the hands will remain behind the shoulders at all times during the descent and ascent of the PL Walks, whereas in the Cast Wall Walks the hands are directly under the shoulders.

3) Remember to adjust the height as necessary during the Box Press HS variations to ensure that the presses are sufficiently challenging.

4) If you cannot press to HS, then press to HeS.

5) If you are strong enough, replace the Box Press HS variations with Press HS from an L-sit on parallets or PBs.

6) If you exceptionally strong, perform the Press HS variations on the XR.

7) Rest 3-5 minutes

8 ) Spend 10 minutes performing HS Wall runs. Time spent resting does not count toward the 10 minute total. Strive to perform the 10 minutes of HS Wall Runs in as few sets as possible.

9) Rest as necessary, but strive to keep rest periods to an absolute minimum. Unless you are already extremely well conditioned gymnastically, this should be a very challenging workout.

10) You may increase the intensity of the HS Wall Runs by lifting a straight arm up to the hips during each step rather than merely touching the shoulder.

Sven Ravnstag

This was tough. My first time making it for 10 whole minutes though, albeit in 30 second bursts (with about 30sec rest in between).

Coach Sommer

Congratulations. That is solid progress.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Alvaro

Short of time and not feeling 100% but I managed to do:

2x5 cast wall walks + some front shoulder elevation with 10kg barbell to finish the movement.

2x5 pike press HeS

2x8 (getting closer to 10) Straddle press HeS

5 min of HS wall runs

1x10 wrist pushups.

Josh Schmitter
Steve Sisk said:
This was tough. My first time making it for 10 whole minutes though, albeit in 30 second bursts (with about 30sec rest in between).

Awesome.

5x3 Plank Walks(8 steps)

2x5 Pike Press HeS

2x10 Straddle Press HeS(5+5,7+3)

5min rest

90s of Box HS Wall Runs: 3 sets of 30s on/60s off

2x10 Wrist Pu on Knees

Notes: Very hard, but still feeling good. Was going to skip the walls runs all together, but felt good up to about 3. Have to work back up as it's been a while and I wore myself thin on all the Plank walks/HeS Pressing.

About 60s rests between inter sets, 2min between exercises.

Kenneth Manning

Stick with it Steve, I started the exact same way, sets of 30 seconds of work and 30 rest. yesterday I set a personal best of sets of 4 min, 3 min, 3 min with 2 minutes rest between each. Still as brutal as ever though!

Sven Ravnstag

That's awesome; thanks for the encouragement! I was definitely feeling fatigued with these, but I reached a groove about midway where it was challenging but never in question.

Traditionally high volume wall runs have been sure to hurt my irritation-prone shoulder, but since doing Slizz's shoulder expanders and stretches, plus all of the drills coach has suggested pre and post workout, I was able to make the 10 min mark without even a hint of discomfort. Actually my shoulders felt great when I was done, and for the entire next day.

I'm consistently impressed by how rewarding Gymnastic Strength Training™ is. I'm very grateful to coach for his book and the time he puts into this site as well as to all the members who have contributed to this amazing body of information. Perusing the forum for bits of knowledge is now one of my go-to free time activities.

Ryan Robinson

Hey Steve would you be able to point me where you got Slizz's expanders and stretches and also what drills per and post workouts to do, my shoulders sometime give me problems but other times none at all I would just like to do these for a precautionary measure. Thanks for the help.

Sven Ravnstag

Sure. Google "Chest Expanders for Shoulder Stability" and the YouTube video should come right up. From there it should be easy (in the related videos section or through his channel) to locate the stretches that go along with the expanders. Got mine from LifeLine USA as he recommended.

As far as drills, I do 1 set of 10 of each of the moves (six total) he demonstrates in the video. For the stretches, I've found that 30sec sets of each (again, six different positions) works well.

My general routine looks like this:

Chest expanders (either before workout or at beginning of the day)

Cardio (usually interval jump roping of 10-12 minutes)

Coaches drills available in the tutorial section:

1) 1-2 sets of ten wrist pushups

2) 1 set of dorsal pushups

3) 2 sets of 10 scapula pushups

4) I'm starting to work in the newest tutorial posted about the pull-up chest flies

*If I do expanders right before the workout, I'll mix in the above in between sets to save time

Next is generally static holds

WOD

Again, from the tutorial section:

1) 1X10 weighted shoulder flex pulls w/10 second hold at end (10lb plate at the moment)

2) 2X10 Shoulder Dislocates (explained in tutorial section)

3) 2X10 Weighted Pike Hamstring Stretch (30sec each) w/35lb plate

4) Lat Flys (see tutorials; these have been terrific!)

5) Slizz's Shoulder Stretches

6) Some door pec stretched

I'm anxiously awaiting a complete warmup/down and general stretch routine from one of the upcoming books, as I'm sure coach can recommend some specifics that'd be much more effective than what I'm doing. For now though this is serving me pretty well. Has relieved my shoulder pain and helped me get more comfortable in L-sits, etc.

Ryan Robinson

Thanks so very much for your help I will now incorporate these into my routine and I will let you know how it works for me. As you said I'm lookin forward to coach's new books and hopefully he can incorporate routines for all the different workouts.

Vincent Stoyas

Completed

2x5 Cast Wall walks

2x5 Pike HeS RLL

1x3 Wall HS Straddle RLL

2x10 Straddle HeS RLL

4 minutes worth of HS Wall Runs

I took a video of the first set of all of them. Trying to install a video editing software to piece it altogether. You can all laugh at strength/fat when it gets posted =)

*NOTES*

Just watched my CWW and compared it to the video. The kid keeps more a handstand position throughout each step, I need to work on that. They're brutal as it is and I think my form has been improving slightly each time. Hopefully I'll make it right

My RLLs were quite funny when I looked at my face. I look so forlorn while I'm inverted. I need to add weight or height to my pike RLL, 5 just isn't enough now.

Wall Runs went good. I didn't have a consistent amount of time or reps for each time going up, sometimes I'd lose balance or other times I felt like my form just wasn't up to par so I would roll out and rest for 30 seconds. My wrists are still getting conditioned to handle the time on them, so I called it quits when they began to ache.

Vincent Stoyas

iVsQadK3u-c

There's the video. Sorry for the slanted view, it was sitting on my bed. Next time I'll find a more stable and straight place to put it. You can hear my friend's cover of Wicked Games though =)

After watching it, I must make sure to keep my arms under my shoulders while doing CWWs. It looks like I'm off center with my legs, but I'm almost positive I'm not.