Just an exercise I thought might be useful to those of you stuck against the wall
9-VyA8Sq7XU
Started by yuri marmerstein, July 5, 2012 · 9 Replies · 5,427 Views
Just an exercise I thought might be useful to those of you stuck against the wall
9-VyA8Sq7XU
Thanks Yuri !
Very usefull indeed ![]()
Thanks Yuri, always helpful. Balance is improving, my biggest problem is actually getting into the HS without a wall to prevent over kicking heh. More practice..
Thanks for à great tip. I Will try it tonight. I now have à good free standing next to à Wall. I can also press to handstand. But i suck at kicking or jumping (tucked) up to à handstand. What do you recomend kicking or jumping and what are the progressions for these?
Thanks
Great idea Yuri! I wanted to post a comment on your YouTube video, but couldn't. Here it was:
« Cool idea! I was doing almost the same thing with my students, but back to the wall and they had to get off the wall using their fingers, stop pushing before they pass their center of gravity, and slowly control their body down towards the wall. I'll try this one as well. Thanks a lot Yuri! »
By the way, would you mind if I added this in my book on handstands? I feel it would be a great combinaison with the one I already use but on the other side.
Vagabond said:Great idea Yuri! I wanted to post a comment on your YouTube video, but couldn't. Here it was:« Cool idea! I was doing almost the same thing with my students, but back to the wall and they had to get off the wall using their fingers, stop pushing before they pass their center of gravity, and slowly control their body down towards the wall. I'll try this one as well. Thanks a lot Yuri! »
By the way, would you mind if I added this in my book on handstands? I feel it would be a great combinaison with the one I already use but on the other side.
Glad to help. Feel free to add it to your book, just make sure to mention me
Mats Trane said:Thanks for à great tip. I Will try it tonight. I now have à good free standing next to à Wall. I can also press to handstand. But i suck at kicking or jumping (tucked) up to à handstand. What do you recomend kicking or jumping and what are the progressions for these?Thanks
Nic Branson said:Thanks Yuri, always helpful. Balance is improving, my biggest problem is actually getting into the HS without a wall to prevent over kicking heh. More practice..
The most common mistake I see when poeple are kicking it tucking to HS is that they start with their hips too far from their hands, almost in a pushup position. The other big mistake is to start with the shoulders behind the hands as this will most definitely make sure you don't get up to HS.
Without seeing what you guys are doing, start in a position with your shoulders slightly in front of your hands, and your hips just slightly behind. Then when you kick/jump as the hips move up the shoulders open. That's it. Don't make it complicated.
However, the drill you really need to be doing is just kicking up to HS without trying to catch the balance. Get used to hitting the right position without trying to balance it yet. Just kick up, squeeze your glutes for a second, and kick back down. Do this for a while until it becomes easy, then your brain will have a pretty good marker for where to go when you kick up. Now when you try to balance you should have a much easier time because you learned to kick up into a better position.
Does that make sense?
In general doing exercises that require shifting weight from hands to feet back and forth are very good for building this kind of awareness.
Thanks alot Yuri!
yuri said:start in a position with your shoulders slightly in front of your hands, and your hips just slightly behind. Then when you kick/jump as the hips move up the shoulders open. That's it. Don't make it complicated.
Dont know why I didn´t think of it myself? The position of the hands and hips that you recomend is the way I have the in my start position for a press to handstand.
I´ll try it tonight
Yeap, I've been on the right track then. Just taking awhile to get down. Probably trying to hold it a bit too long also will take that step out. Thanks
damn...
Why i just hadn't read this before...
haha, really, i'm stuck with my kick ups, but practising them will help a lot, thanks a lot for the information Yuri, really thanks a lot!!
yuri said:However, the drill you really need to be doing is just kicking up to HS without trying to catch the balance. Get used to hitting the right position without trying to balance it yet. Just kick up, squeeze your glutes for a second, and kick back down.
Thanks, my kick-up is improving now that I spend less time trying to hold it, but end up getting more actual kicks-up practiced.
This seems so obvious in retrospect.