Splits in headstand

Started by Vincent Stoyas, July 1, 2012 · 3 Replies · 2,451 Views

Vincent Stoyas

Are there any significant disadvantages in working the splits while inverted?

I just started a few days ago and I seem to prefer that method much more. Although, if it's going to take much longer to see results than I'll revert back to splits on the ground.

Vagabond

Well, you got less pressure to submit your muscles too, but on an other way, if you use your muscles to pull your splits, it's like using gravity as assistance to do beats (not sure they're called like that in English)... On a passive level, the force might not be enough to pull your legs very hard, tho. Also, it might be hard to see if your legs have a correct position. Plus, for the middle split, gravity won't be much of a help at all, you'll mostly be using your muscles.

Cole Dano

I would be very impressed if you could learn full splits out of headstand. Most likely you prefer it because it's so much harder to get any tension, so it feels better. Nothing wrong with this, but I would eliminate the regular splits, use the headstand variation as a prep move.

Vincent Stoyas

Yeah, I never imagined achieving full splits in a headstand.

My splits are very poor now so I thought maybe I could use a headstand variation as a precursor for a while.

I just thought maybe it could working likened to doing a pike stretch or a good morning variation such as described in "Relax into Stretch."