Hi guys
i'll get straight to the point! about february time I was doing some kick variations in my muay thai class and on the front push kick (teep) my right hip gave an almighty clunk!! it wasn't painful but since then it has stuck with me i can re-create the clunk by lifting my knee up (standing position) and lowering past 90 degrees to my body. This doesn't seem to be so prominent when my knee is coming straight down beside the supporting leg but more when it is tranversely abducted slightly and even more so if at 60-75 degrees to the support leg. As soon as my knee goes past half way...CLUNK! after a couple of times i start to feel soreness/almost stiffness in my hip flexors and groin area. It doesn't hurt when i walk or run but any intense knee raising exercise that isolates the flexors like knee lifts, leg raises or static holds just makes it feel sore and fatigued quickly. I can put my fingers on my groin area and feel the pop when i lower my knee, the pop seems to come around the illiopsoas/pectineus region.
My left side pops when doing a side kick or any abduction movement but it's no way near as bad as the situation i have with the right side!!
I have been scanning the forum for articles on hip problems and so far the only thing i can find is Ido Portals comment on training more internal rotation and a few suggestions on stretching aggressively. I am quite flexible to so stretching is helping abit but doesn't really get rid of the symptoms of soreness or the clunks/pops, it only seems to stretch my ITb's and releasing my knees.
Coach said to try the hip extensions exercise that he states in one of the forum pages but it just gives me pain in my flexor to benefit me at the moment. I have tried to cut sitting down so much out of my day to day routine (I'm a lifeguard so sitting and watching does not help this in the slightest. I now keep moving and walk around the pool and when i get a break i stretch my hips.)
Now my hips just feel so unstable and i feel that my hip flexors were never conditioned properly for the amount of speed and power i was putting into kicks - I will also admitt to sometimes not warming up properly if not at all! And since the injury i have stopped going to my class and stopped kicking completely. I am thinking of going to see a ART specialist and chiropractor about the matter and see what they can do.
Please please if ANYONE has any advice or suggestions ( or preferably a complete hip rehab program to get balance, stability and strength back to the my hips would much appreciated
)
Thanks guys!