First muscle up: achieved.

Started by Eric Heiden, June 29, 2012 · 3 Replies · 2,472 Views

Eric Heiden

Last night was a ring strength WOD day for me. I've spent about a month or two performing ring strength one with a band under my butt to help me through the muscle up so I don't need to break the series up into pullup, then dips -> rest of series. Last night I decided to give it a try without the band and found myself on top of the rings very suddenly. There was definitely some momentum involved - it was a fast pull - but no kipping! I'm excited to iron out the kinks in this element and perform it slowly with just strength.

First of two MU's at 1:16 after my PB supports:

T3e3SYxKzy4

Hooray! Thanks to all of you who have posted about the benefits of band assisted MUs! They work, even without dedicated effort!

Daniel Burnham

Congrats man. Muscle up is a good milestone. It definitely takes a while to make it to a very slow muscle up with no kip but it seems you have made some good progress already. I never really trained muscle-ups but just used them to get in position for other elements. The strength to do them slowly just kinda came and I realized that every time I went into support position I could do them more slowly. I attribute it to progressing into harder dip progressions and fairly strong pull-ups (compared to other skills). Keep up the work!.

MH87

Good job. When you're ready, it's time for dead hang muscle ups!

Eric Heiden
MH87 said:
Good job. When you're ready, it's time for dead hang muscle ups!

I wish! I definitely can't rig that up in my garage - the ceilings are too low. Eventually I'll need a solution to that problem.

On a side note - I just went downstairs and did 3 muscle ups without too much issue - slower and more controlled than those in the video. Hooray!