My back is top heavy??

Started by Tavis G, June 28, 2012 · 19 Replies · 3,669 Views

Tavis G

Hey guys, i have been doing alot of Pullups/Chinups, BW Rows, Hyperextensions, and BAck bridges. My upper back is just really thick compared to my lower and middle back. It looks so ridicoulus. Could anyone give me any BW excersizes to fix this?

Paradox

What you seem to be describing is the natural shape of the human body. The upper half of the body is wider in profile compared to the lower half. The fundamental static levers will use the lower back anyways, so any imbalance you may have will go away over time.

Anyways, my bet is you would probably have some serious postural and gait issues if this large imbalance were actually the case.

Take a picture for us, if you want and can. Maybe it's that you've never really paid attention to your body and so you're just noticing new things about it :) Ever since I started gymnastics, I'm learning all sorts of cool things about my body all the time.

Tavis G

I have no postural problems, its just my upper back seems like it has 10X more muscle than my lower back, thats why it seems top heavy.

Rik de Kort

Are you working lower back (reverse leg lifts, GHR, archups)? Because you should.

Ian Myers

Everyone here is right tavis, its the natural shape of the male body-slim waist and wide shoulders.

Dont worry about it dude, chicks dig that :wink:

FREDERIC DUPONT

Hey, what about the "Tai Chi Belly"? :D

Tavis G

Its like i have absolutly have no muscular definition of the lower back and middle back. My upper back you can see brute muscle, yet you cant see any definition in my lower regions. Yes i do GHR but what are archups?

seiyafan

two good exerices to build mid and lower back, row and deadlift.

Ian Myers
Tavis G said:
Its like i have absolutly have no muscular definition of the lower back and middle back. My upper back you can see brute muscle, yet you cant see any definition in my lower regions. Yes i do GHR but what are archups?

If youre really concerned put up a picture, but I believe you started training recently (correct me if I'm wrong). It takes a few weeks/months for noticeable changes sometimes.

Ian Legrow

I have actually heard a couple times on this forum of people thinking they are too muscular in a specific area. A lot of the time I feel that its simply not true. WHat would you have done to make your upper back thick and huge like you describe so much so that it makes your lower back look small and weak? You are only 14. If i were you i would stop worrying about it

seiyafan

In all seriousness, may I know how to thicken the upper back? That's an area I need to work with.

Ian Legrow

Xr rows are a great way, FL pulls, some HS work. These are just basic gymnastic movments to train upper back. Almost all of the XR rows section in teh book will work your upper back/ shoulder girde area

Vagabond

Pull-ups and chin-ups, front levers and variations of them, too.

Tavis G

Im not saying im the hulk in my upper back. And i cant put up a pic yet because my camera battery is messed up. I started working out with weights a year ago but not hardcore. quit the weights and started doing strictly Calisthenics 2-3 months ago. Yes i am 14. I dont really care too much how it looks, but i do want it more muscular, i see it as a weakness, and that weakness isnt going to get better if i dont know how to really train it. Yes i do alot of rows too. They build up my back pretty nice since i started them.

Cole Dano

From the perspective of this community, what you're worrying about is actually not that important in the long run.

The nature of Gymnastic Strength Training™ is to work multiple body parts with single exercises, following a well rounded program will start to balance that out if it is indeed a problem.

The mentality is different from body building, where there is more focus on isolation work. Outside of core work, which still involves many muscle groups, there is little specific isolation work. At almost certainly at this stage of your training career it's not something you need to be concerned with.

With GST we tend to think in terms of progressive exercise families in opposing planes of movement.

Try putting together a Kilroy style workout and ask post it for feedback if you need it.

Paradox
seiyafan said:
In all seriousness, may I know how to thicken the upper back? That's an area I need to work with.

Take a look at today's WOD. *shudders* I always feel a bit scared when Coach posts this one - it's hell :lol:

You can also mix in press handstands for the entire trapezius.

Tavis G

I Will post a pic now. How do you post pictures?

Uzeeh

There's the IMG bar in the post reply - on the right, between URL and [*]. Put the link between the

Tavis G

i know that but where do i find the link?

Paradox
Tavis G said:
i know that but where do i find the link?

Upload the picture from your computer to an image hosting website such as Photobucket. Your picture, once uploaded, will have a link that you can copy and paste into said IMG bar.