I need the help of the GB community!!

Started by yuri marmerstein, June 25, 2012 · 42 Replies · 10,957 Views

FREDERIC DUPONT
Vagabond said:
(...) the old World's Strongest Men also had keg throws.(...)

It involves two movements: (1) drink the beer, (2) throw the keg... :D

...

Then you can go on a handstand for an extended period. :shock:

Nic Branson
Vagabond said:
I'm pretty sure it was...

Very cool idea to allow support for handstands.

And the old World's Strongest Men also had keg throws. I'm pretty sure I've seen Bill Kazmaier doing it.

Yeap. Keg for height. Weight for height is awesome and fairly space friendly. Using the keg over the highland style weight is also a visual difference for the audience. Going with the weight you need an announcer who will point out that the 56 for height is like throwing an old TV into the air with one hand.

Weaver is awesome. In pool weight carry. Set a heavy weight on the bottom of the pool they need to dive in, pick it up and carry it through the pool to the other side. Basically equates to them walking across the bottom of the pool holding it. Dive school drill.

yuri marmerstein

I like the idea of handstands(obviously), and really, a true athlete should be able to control their body whether rightside up or inverted

For handstand, I'm thinking to set a timer for a minute and see who can stay on their hands, giving penalties for staying on the floor

As far as psychological torture, tough mudder does things like that where they have ice water, flamethrowers, and electrical cables in their course.

I don't think it is necessary for this

Nic Branson said:
Vagabond said:
I'm pretty sure it was...

Very cool idea to allow support for handstands.

And the old World's Strongest Men also had keg throws. I'm pretty sure I've seen Bill Kazmaier doing it.

Yeap. Keg for height. Weight for height is awesome and fairly space friendly. Using the keg over the highland style weight is also a visual difference for the audience. Going with the weight you need an announcer who will point out that the 56 for height is like throwing an old TV into the air with one hand.

Weaver is awesome. In pool weight carry. Set a heavy weight on the bottom of the pool they need to dive in, pick it up and carry it through the pool to the other side. Basically equates to them walking across the bottom of the pool holding it. Dive school drill.

Underwater weight walk is also a good idea, I will add it to the list

Kevin Oka

Test 1

Transfer weight plates from point A to point B. The weight lifter types will succeed here as they will carry more each trip. Maybe have it time-based, so anyone above X:XX time will pass the round.

Test 2

Have people pull a light cart for X distance (similar to pushup movements, for a pushing exercise), then at the end, have a monkey bar challenge for Y distance (pulling movement). For the most part bodyweight. If the cart is impractical, any sort of pushing movement can be done.

Test 3

By now the competition will be thinned out considerably. Perhaps after everyone is exhausted we could switch to cardio focus. Somewhat long distance run/swim with small pushing/pulling stations intermittent? Maybe Test 3 can be distributed across tests 1 and 2?

Vagabond

If you need a pushing test, what about doing reverse quadrupedia upstairs? It can be pretty challenging on the shoulders and triceps.

FritsMB Mansvelt Beck

One of my favorite youtube vid’s shows some parcours guys taking their shirts/pants of during their running front/backflips in the gym. Way beyond most top athletes ability. But, scaled down, you could add a little humor and suspense to your obstacle course event by requiring contestants to put on an extra pair of pants while balancing on a high beam, reached after speed climbing a climbing wall or rope (while dragging a chain, of course). This followed by their best imitation of a front lever hanging on the balance beam (just hanging on the beam is 1 point, tucked FL is 5 points, full lay is 20 points), again followed by climbing back on top of the beam (MU will help here by saving time), taking pants off and racing for the finish (or next obstacle). One of those next obstacles could be a sideways HS walk on the floor (or high bar so it is more of a spectacle) with feet against a wall or another bar.

John Sapinoso

clothing / declothing while balancing = best idea ever

Falcon

Its the stripogram

3C-rRNR1xck

FritsMB Mansvelt Beck

I hadn’t seen this one yet. Same guys. Fantastic stuff. Thanks for posting it, Falcon. I couldn’t find it anymore. Actually, putting your shirt/pants on/off while hanging on a bar by one hand, looks like a good one too.

FREDERIC DUPONT
FritsMB said:
I hadn’t seen this one yet. Same guys. Fantastic stuff. Thanks for posting it, Falcon. I couldn’t find it anymore. Actually, putting your shirt/pants on/off while hanging on a bar by one hand, looks like a good one too.

Socks? :lol::lol::lol:

Joshua Naterman

When trying to stray away from all skill specific things, keep in mind that Ninja Warrior has an enormous number of very skill-specific things, like the wall run to the ledge and the cliffhanger. People train specifically for these events, and for many of the others, like the hopping straight bar slide.

Every good show is going to have skill specific events, so I wouldn't shy away from that. I would shy away from weighting it towards any one sport.

Aaron Griffin
okaxmasato said:
Transfer weight plates from point A to point B. The weight lifter types will succeed here as they will carry more each trip. Maybe have it time-based, so anyone above X:XX time will pass the round.

Oh gawd, the pinching!

Nic Branson
phrak said:
okaxmasato said:
Transfer weight plates from point A to point B. The weight lifter types will succeed here as they will carry more each trip. Maybe have it time-based, so anyone above X:XX time will pass the round.

Oh gawd, the pinching!

Have a puke can near by. This "moving the mountain" as we call it has made more people puke then just about anything else. Using bumper plates have never had a pinching issue just the puking issues...

William Bateson

I think where all shows like this fall short is in the actual competition part. Being timed and the best time wins, just isn't really COMPETING to me. I would love to see an elimination show, where you go up against someone, loser leaves. I would envision something like this:

Theres a pile of weight of some kind (stones, plates, whatever) and you have 30 seconds to load down your competitors cart/sled/whatever. If your good here, you can really bury your opponent from the get go. Than you have 30 seconds to push the loaded object up a slight incline as far as you can. However far YOU push it, that's how far your opponent has to swim/run/climb/whatever in the next round. See how this builds upon itself?

Anyway that is just an example, but I would like to see a combination of swimming, climbing, running, jumping, and manipulating external objects for the obstacles/rounds/whatever, done in this fashion. I think it would actually be interesting to watch, and a true competition.

John Sapinoso

lache to cat hang (jumping bars) for distance

kong vault (squat through / tucked hect) for distance

yuri marmerstein
BlLL said:
I think where all shows like this fall short is in the actual competition part. Being timed and the best time wins, just isn't really COMPETING to me. I would love to see an elimination show, where you go up against someone, loser leaves. I would envision something like this:

Theres a pile of weight of some kind (stones, plates, whatever) and you have 30 seconds to load down your competitors cart/sled/whatever. If your good here, you can really bury your opponent from the get go. Than you have 30 seconds to push the loaded object up a slight incline as far as you can. However far YOU push it, that's how far your opponent has to swim/run/climb/whatever in the next round. See how this builds upon itself?

Anyway that is just an example, but I would like to see a combination of swimming, climbing, running, jumping, and manipulating external objects for the obstacles/rounds/whatever, done in this fashion. I think it would actually be interesting to watch, and a true competition.

I like the idea, but it would only be viable maybe in the finals when the number of contestants has been narrowed down.

John Sapinoso said:
lache to cat hang (jumping bars) for distance

kong vault (squat through / tucked hect) for distance

Perhaps, but pretty parkour specific.

Coach Sommer

It is not enough for the events to be physically challenging. They must also be visually stimulating for the audience. Moving weights/stones/blocks etc is a guaranteed way for viewers to change the channel.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

FREDERIC DUPONT
Coach Sommer said:
It is not enough for the events to be physically challenging. They must also be visually stimulating for the audience. Moving weights/stones/blocks etc is a guaranteed way for viewers to change the channel.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

In that case, I warmly recommend an obstacle race where contestants are paired and tied at the ankles with a 20 feet chain, covered or not with light armor, armed with cutlasses, spears and shields, and set against other teams in an environment filled with dangerous animals (crocs, lions, etc...)

Of course, it is an individual race, so in the end, even if the pair managed to cooperate for a while, they must face each other.

The rule set is: no rules.

The goal: be last!

I guarantee that viewers will change channels to watch! :wink:

It may be a bit too early for this, but as the financial crisis persists, the public of fat, tapout tee shirts wearing, chips eating and beer drinking unemployed masses will increasingly need circus to go with their food stamps! :shock:

PS: If the animal mistreatment laws cannot be circumvented, it would also work without the animals.