How to manage volume work on HS?

Started by Martin de Jesus Ponce Robaldino, June 24, 2012 · 9 Replies · 3,545 Views

Martin de Jesus Ponce Robaldino

Well, the question is that, i have already built some good strength and form for beginning free HS, and i know that working 10-15-20 min might be a good idea, as HS is more a skill.

I'm Planning to perform 2 or 3 sessions of 10-15 min every day, looking for free balance, not for strength. The plan is not to fatigue myself, is just to learn how to recognize a good form in hs...

Do you think might be a good idea to split total volume into 2 -3 sessions every day?

Thanks in advice

Rik de Kort

As far as I know, with skills more = better. Unless you're burning yourself out (getting wrist aches and all that) or not getting perfect practice. Ian did something alike with his HS training and that guy has a beautiful handstand.

Vagabond

I agree as well. Do 2-3 short sessions every day, while staying very fresh. At your third session, think that you should even be able to do a fourth session if you wanted to. That way, your handstand should develop pretty fast.

yuri marmerstein

I think it's a great idea. There was time when I did something similar and I got good results from it.

You have the right idea that balance is a skill. You will want to work skills as much as possible, but not in a fatigued state. Eventually you will build up your wrist and shoulder stamina and will be able to do one big hand balancing session if you so desire. Ideally you would stop before you get tired, at least in the beginning.

This way is also good to keep interest, as you will be less likely to get bored in 15 minute session than an hour session.

Good luck with your training, let us know how it goes.

Mikael Kristiansen

2-3 short sessions should work very well to develop your handstands. Be careful to do some warm up though, especially for the wrists. I often experience that after my first session during a day(with proper warm up), it doesnt take my body too long to get ready for another short handstand session, since it is all static. Balance out your shorter sessions with some longer ones where you also include strength and mobillity work. Also, if you feel sluggish and cant balance very well some days, use the stomack to wall exercise just to work on alignment. Free balance is of course the best, but sometimes you might be a bit off and it is better to do quality work at an "easier" level.

I would also tell you to play with it outside of those sessions if you feel like it. Make it a habit to go upside down often and you will very quickly build awareness.

Richard Duelley
Handbalancer said:
2-3 short sessions should work very well to develop your handstands. Be careful to do some warm up though, especially for the wrists. I often experience that after my first session during a day(with proper warm up), it doesnt take my body too long to get ready for another short handstand session, since it is all static. Balance out your shorter sessions with some longer ones where you also include strength and mobillity work. Also, if you feel sluggish and cant balance very well some days, use the stomack to wall exercise just to work on alignment. Free balance is of course the best, but sometimes you might be a bit off and it is better to do quality work at an "easier" level.

I would also tell you to play with it outside of those sessions if you feel like it. Make it a habit to go upside down often and you will very quickly build awareness.

My favorite drill when I am felling 'off' is Idos straighten into line drill. I do like the stomach to wall drill but the straighten into line drill is just too much fun and is easy to modify and play with. :D

Aaron Griffin
niftyvt said:
My favorite drill when I am felling 'off' is Idos straighten into line drill.

Have a link to this drill, by chance?

Martin de Jesus Ponce Robaldino

thanks for all your anwsers =)

I'll be managing 2 or 3 light sessions in order to get the proer balance, to practise a lot kicking up, and doing in the correct form =)

I'll try to update this thread!

Ian Legrow
Rik de Kort said:
As far as I know, with skills more = better. Unless you're burning yourself out (getting wrist aches and all that) or not getting perfect practice. Ian did something alike with his HS training and that guy has a beautiful handstand.

Thank you my firend thast means a lot ot me. COnstant practice is the key. Constant. More videos coming in the future