Lower back weakness

Started by Cags, June 23, 2012 · 4 Replies · 19,998 Views

Cags

In my static and ring training my weakest points seem to be my lower back.

In my L-seat my lower back fails first as well as in my front lever progression, back lever progression, and planche progressions. I have added weighted hypers and reverse curl ups (as prescribed in BtGB) as well as heavy deadlifts but to no avail. Doing L-Pullups and L-Chins I encountered problems and posted saying that I should wait. My trainer said it wasn't my level of strength but that he would look into it today.

Any help here? I dont't Know what I am doing wrong with my conditioning.

Martin de Jesus Ponce Robaldino
Cags said:
In my static and ring training my weakest points seem to be my lower back.

In my L-seat my lower back fails first as well as in my front lever progression, back lever progression, and planche progressions. I have added weighted hypers and reverse curl ups (as prescribed in BtGB) as well as heavy deadlifts but to no avail. Doing L-Pullups and L-Chins I encountered problems and posted saying that I should wait. My trainer said it wasn't my level of strength but that he would look into it today.

Any help here? I dont't Know what I am doing wrong with my conditioning.

you need to learn to use your hips muscles...

and also, you can delevop more strength in lumbar area working reverse leg lifts (in any permissible variation)

Archups, hypers, arch holds (this helps a lot)

Cole Dano

I just guessing here, but it may be you are looking for the wrong cure to your problem.

L-sit for example requires little lower back strength, but a good deal of abdominal and hip flexor strength.

Planche is most likely more about shoulder girdle strength and being able to lean forward enough, the lower back will work of course but it's not trying to lift you up, it's a balance position.

Back lever is ideally not done with a strong arch, and preferable will be more hollowed than arched. This is also true of planche.

Joshua Naterman

This sounds to me like you don't know how to relax the lower back when performing L sit. It sounds a lot like you have a lot of reciprocal inhibition, which basically means that your nervous system is sending messages to your lower back saying "doing let me bend!" when you try to do L-sits. An easier position like L hangs is a good way to unlearn this, but it will take time to separate your hip flexors from your lower back extensors.

The heavy deadlifts may actually work against you here. They are a good exercise, but the key for YOU is to learn the movement. That is going to take time.

If you have someone there with you when you train, you may want them to assist you at the ankles with some upwards pressure so that you can focus on the correct contraction of the hip flexors while relaxing the lower back. Over time you will learn to keep the two separated with less and less assistance. A band may work well for this as well.

The main thing is going to be hanging L and hanging leg lifts. You need to learn to do these without firing your lower back. This will take a few months.

Like we often say, train the movement. That means more than just what it looks like on film, it means to learn how to only use the muscles you need to.

Cole Dano

Might not be bad to do some Hollow Body Holds as well to get a sense of the shape and proper midsection activation.