Training for hypertrophy and strength - need some pointers

Started by wwqll, June 22, 2012 · 2 Replies · 2,490 Views

wwqll

Hi everyone,

I'll try to keep this as short as possible.

My goal is to add size and strength, I started at 19 year old 98lbs(!) for 5"6 without previous sport experience, in ten month I'm now about 128lbs.

I eat at a caloric surplus to add size.

My diet include balanced amount of clean carbs (a good portion from oats), protein (from whey, beef, chicken and other milk products) and fats (milk products, olive oil).

My routine is like this :

Everytime :

5 sets planche variation

5 sets handstand variation

5 sets back lever

5 sets front lever

then

A :

3 sets weighted dips

3 sets hanging leg lifts

3 sets planche leans

B:

3 sets handstand push ups

3 sets weighted bar rows

3 sets weighted pull ups

3 sets grip work

Week:

ABxABxx

That last like 1-1h30, 4 times a week.

I ride my bicycle multiple times a week.

For the static work, I usually get in the harder position I can for 4-10secs.

For the dynamic work, I usually keep it 3-6 reps.

I saw progress with this routine. One of the thing that remain difficult is the planche but I notice I can learn further now with a bit more control.

I can do :

tuck planche, can go advanced tuck for some secs

front lever but with my legs straight but with a 45° angle+- for some secs, or tuck for more time

back lever flat tuck for some time

handstand for some secs, sometimes up to 10secs+ but my body line isn't good yet

HLL half

45lbs dips 3x3, I deloaded a bit to do more reps

25lbs pullups 3x5

2 hanstand pushups without elevating hand, could do half reps back in march

At start I couldn't do a pull up, started at starting point for all the progressions I think.

The physical change so far : https://dl.dropbox.com/u/14678806/mosaic.jpg

I posted on a bodybuilding forum just to check people opinion, it has been quite mixed : here

Maybe the reason is that my weight stalled for 2-3 months at some point - or that something is wrong.

I'm a bit annoyed that my belly sticks forwards while not being apparently too fat (it's about flat, with the usual lower ab fat).

My arms remain small but I hope it solve itself, better than before but hopefully solved with the future mass gain

Questions :

* should I change the way I do my FSP ? Maybe my ~4 to 10sec sets are too short

* is the volume good for hypertrophy ? shouldn't I get more, less rest or don't hit everything every workout ?

* what is the ideal weight gain ? I have been adding about 0.7 lbs (0.3kg) a week, sometimes it's a bit more sometimes not

* am i gaining too much fat ? I'm about 14 to 17% bf maybe, until 1 month ago my weight gain was inconsistent

* how much weight should I gain ? I thought about 15 lbs maybe more depending on how fat I get

General opinions/pointers are welcome too!

Thanks in advance, this forum is always a great help :) .

Rik de Kort

Looking awesome! Good job. :D

For hypertrophy, 5-10 reps is generally thought to be the sweet spot. Josh has some more complex stuff here and here.

itisme

good job mate