This guy does CTI + nice video

Started by Brian Li, June 21, 2012 · 13 Replies · 3,462 Views

Brian Li

Hey guys I saw this new video yesterday where a crew of athletes/enthusiasts were doing some sick features and what caught my attention the most was one guy attempting the CTI and was actually pretty close to Benincasa's (the one from the 2nd photo).

You can watch his CTI work and attempts starting from 7:06 with the best attempt at the end just before the credits, but you might as well just watch the whole video anyways since it is pretty sick.

I think you just need a very strong MU transition that is a lot straighter than normal + plus exceptionally strong pulling strength for the CTI based on my observations from the video.

Gregor

NEVER GONNA HAPPEN!!!

It's not possible at all. This is just to low front lever with to high shoulders...

John Sapinoso

not a fan of this groups work. it's interesting and entertaining sure, but lacks a lot in quality and process. enjoy the energy, but not my style.

Brian Li
Gregor said:
NEVER GONNA HAPPEN!!!

It's not possible at all. This is just to low front lever with to high shoulders...

I think your right, I probably misjudged his arm angles. After further inspection, I think Benincasa's 2nd CTI photo is actually a bent arm low front lever. So the "CTI" is very possible. The first photo of Benincasa's CTI is definitely impossible though.

John Sapinoso said:
not a fan of this groups work. it's interesting and entertaining sure, but lacks a lot in quality and process. enjoy the energy, but not my style.

I see what you mean, I just like seeing their one arm levers and the "CTI" attempts.

Vagabond

I think Jasper Benincasa really did what is showed of his first picture of CTI. He has incredible work ethics, he was a machine, he seemed very humble and it doesn't seem like he was ever doing it to impress anybody. According to everything I've red on him, he's not the type of guy who would lie on that. If he says he did it, I believe him.

Brian Li

I just looked at part of the video where he does his slowly controlled and briefly held CTI attempts from 7:21onwards again and his forehead seems way above the bar for a low front lever with the same amount of arm bend. I'm probably fooled by the camera angles, but it really doesn't seem to match a low front lever with the same amount of arm bend and it's pretty strange for someone with a very strong front lever to struggle with a bent arm low front lever with false grip. This looks fishy or I'm just a fool. :? :?:

Vagabond said:
I think Jasper Benincasa really did what is showed of his first picture of CTI. He has incredible work ethics, he was a machine, he seemed very humble and it doesn't seem like he was ever doing it to impress anybody. According to everything I've red on him, he's not the type of guy who would lie on that. If he says he did it, I believe him.

Yeah, but how is it possible to hold a position in the air where your center of gravity is out of line with your hands. You can have all the strength there is, but it still needs to follow the laws of physics. It's like saying a planche with arms perpendicular to the body is possible without external help.

Vagabond

If you had a grip from hell and were fairly light, it might be possible. :) Think that Jasper Benincasa didn't have his arms perfectly straight, that he was using a fairly wide grip and was using a massive amount of rasin or honey or whatever mix he had. And the guy was doing almost 20 one arm chins. And there's pictures, they seem like he wasn't moving much and that he help it for at least a few seconds.

Plus, don't you remember the saying that according to all laws of aeronautics bees should not be able to fly? (That quote is not true, but you know what I mean.) The laws of physics don't change. They apply the same to everybody, technically. But it depends the way you look at them, your angle of approach. You think it's impossible using certain parameters. But if you take more parameters into consideration, it might not seem so impossible anymore. I don't have example, but I'm pretty sure we can find some if we look at it.

Rik de Kort
B1214N said:

Yeah, but how is it possible to hold a position in the air where your center of gravity is out of line with your hands. You can have all the strength there is, but it still needs to follow the laws of physics. It's like saying a planche with arms perpendicular to the body is possible without external help.

Like Vagabond said, it's a matter of parameters. You can sure as hell build a construction in planche form, supported only by two 'arms' which are perpendicular to the torso, while having the same bodyweight as a man.

To completely prove that a move is not possible, your argument has not to appeal to physics, but to human strength capabilities. Using physics to try and 'disprove' a move is a flawed argument at best.

Gregor

No one was even near to it and no one will be ever near. Even on this of Jasper Benincasa pic at 3:14s it is showen it's not even close to it (it's more closely to victorian than CTI).

I would go even further and say CTI has wrong name and it should be called just Imp aka. imposible move.

Only way it could be possible would be in space or if people would learn to fly :facepalm::mrgreen:

Vagabond

Jasper Benincasa called what he did the CTI. So the CTI doesn't have a perform form. Doing it perfectly is probably impossible. Doing it with Jasper's form is Close To Impossible.

Gregor

What he did is probably easier than perfect victorian in my opinion...And if that is what should look like CTI, then it is nowhere near "true form CTI" with straight body, 90° to the floor with 90° anteflexion of arms.

Vagabond

I guess it's why he called it Close to Impossible. He probably knew what he would have liked to achieve but that's the closest he could get from it.

Brian Li

I suppose you guys are right that it's a matter of parameters, but I'm still skeptical that Jasper held the CTI in the first picture even if with sticky assists for gripping. It was probably like what Vagabond said that Jasper wanted to achieve the perfect CTI, but his attempt from his second picture was the closest he could get.

Gregor said:
What he did is probably easier than perfect victorian in my opinion...And if that is what should look like CTI, then it is nowhere near "true form CTI" with straight body, 90° to the floor with 90° anteflexion of arms.

So is what Jasper did actually a low front lever with slighty bent arms?

Vagabond
B1214N said:
It was probably like what Vagabond said that Jasper wanted to achieve the perfect CTI, but his attempt from his second picture was the closest he could get.

I'd dare to say the first picture was held 2-3 seconds, according to Jasper. He'd then keep trying to hold it as hard as he could, and then got lower and lower and the second picture was taken.