some questions about some foods

Started by Ivan Pellejero, June 20, 2012 · 2 Replies · 8,143 Views

Ivan Pellejero

Well, i'm trying to increase my protein intake and was wondering if squid is a good source of it.

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/ ... =Full&new=

In the link is the full report of the content of squid, the reason I ask this is because it is cheap, something like 4 dollars the kilogram, I'm not going to eat squid always of course but once or twice a week a plate could come in handy just for the diversity. PD. That site is pretty great, it even gives you the full lipidic profile with each fatty acid.

Blairbob

Pretty much most animal meat is a good source of protein. It can be debated on it if it's factory farmed, but this is less of an issue in the third world.

Maybe squid also has Omega3's. Well all meat does, but the non factory farmed stuff generally has more.

Enjoy, I'll pass on it though. I like the taste of things that live on land or in the air better.

Larry Roseman

Calamari. Thing with cooking it is to not over do it, as it turns into rubber.

You can cut it up into rings, toss it in a pan with a bit of oil or water and it will be done quickly.

Or boil it. When it's white, it's done. Great with veggies or served in tomato sauce.

I can't get squid that cheaply, unless it's in a frozen block. Well that's chum for fishermen :)

But I can get fresh frozen sardines from Portugal for about the same price. Grilled some today

after marinating in garlic, salt and spices and a little oil. Fantastic! Like eating on an island in the Med.