I'm in a sort of awkward situation where I don't have access to rings on a regular basis. Just checking for some ideas and suggestions for working on a Maltese Cross without rings.
What I Have:
A solid planche on the rings (8-12 sec; <5 sec weighted at ankles)
An almost-solid Iron Cross and Inverted Iron Cross (~5-10 second hold on Iron Cross, but it's a bit high; <5 second hold on Inverted, but again, it's a bit high)
Handstand and other basic ring strength is all there.
A fancy gym with all sorts of free weights and weight machines.
Parallettes/Parallel Bars, High Bar, plenty of floor space.
What I don't have:
Maltese Cross
Front Lever (don't laugh! It's a work in progress)
Rings ![]()
What I want:
Exercises and tips that don't utilize the rings, but will still help me gain and maintain strength for a Maltese Cross.
What I've tried:
Straight arm dumbbell flyes. These are sort of like your typical dumbbell fly, except I keep my elbows 100% locked out.
Maltese dumbbell flyes. Basically the same thing as the straight arm dumbbell flyes, except I bring my arms down lower so they are in more of a maltese position.
Wide arm planches on parallettes. I usually take my parallettes and place them further apart, and slightly angled so they mimick the position of a maltese. I found that my 10 second planche turns into a 1/2 second planche when I do this. By placing the parallettes slightly closer together, I find that it makes it a bit easier.
Weighted Planches on the parallettes. I feel that since my Planche is already fairly strong, these won't help too much. But since I don't have much to do otherwise, I still work on them since there's not too many other options.
After 9 months of trying the stuff I have listed, my "Maltese Cross" definitely feels stronger, but it's not quite there yet. What I'm doing now is trying to get as much use out of the rings while I can, since in less than 2 months I'll be back to not having rings. I'll probably be able to hop on the rings a total of 5 times over the course of 9 months, but these will be during competitions. Any pointers from more experienced people? Things that I'm doing that wont help or things that will help that I don't have?