L-Seat Pullups Pain and Deadlifts

Started by Cags, June 18, 2012 · 7 Replies · 7,794 Views

Cags

I have been working off of a Killroy70 template and I am at the point where I am doing L-Seat Pullups. I can do sets of 8-9 legs at 90 and locked out but there is pain in my lower mid back when I pull up. Is this just normal muscle strain ?

I have been doing deadlifts at a moderate weight ~200lbs. as a lower body and back conditioning exercise as well as weighted pullups (I am not doing them on circuits like crossfit). Does this counteract anything training wise in BtGB? Is it bad to do both?

Joshua Naterman

Your training is fine, those lifts help.

Your pain is probably coming from your muscles having to pull at different angles than they are used to. There is a lot more stress on the lower traps with L-seat pull ups and it does take time to get used to. It will go away after 4-8 weeks, just don't overdo it while you get accustomed to the new work! Use your judgement and if you get to a point where you are wondering if another few reps is ok because you feel strong enough but don't quite feel comfortable with the sensation getting more intense, that's the time to stop for that day.

Personally I felt this for about 4 weeks. I just didn't increase the reps or anything and got used to it, and I was fine. For me this only happened when I really had a good hollow the whole time, but I don't know how common this transition pain is when starting L-sit pull ups for the first time.

FREDERIC DUPONT

Could this have something to do with the psoas pulling on the spine to lift the legs? :)

Cole Dano

Try to watch what your lower back is doing during the L-Sit Pull Up.

Are you initiating the pull by arching your back? If so this may be part of the issue. In that regard the L-sit pull is quite different from a deadlift (with good form).

You can also experiment with how high you lift your legs, could go either way, but see if higher or lower makes a difference.

Joshua Naterman

Good points. He said lower mid back, indicating thoracic spine where the upper lats and lower traps attach (this often feels lower than it really is) so I assumed he was hollow. Stupid me :)

If you show us some video so we can see what you're doing we can help a lot more.

Cole Dano

Not so stupid Josh, I was just spitballing.

True though, the lower traps are really called to task doing the L-sit pulls, so it may be as simple as that.

Cags

I do lean back about a quarter way into the pull so i can clear the bar and I do have weak traps since I didnt really need to for what I was doing.

Martin de Jesus Ponce Robaldino

I think that your psoas and harmstrings are short...

do you spend much time sit?

any lower back problem before that feelings?