This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Straddle Planch bounces- Straddle Planc Lifts

Started by Mats Trane, June 16, 2012 · 11 Replies · 138 Views

Mats Trane

Hi

I´m sitting here reviewing my foulder I got at the seminar that was hel in Arizona in May 2011.

I came across Straddle Planch bounces and Straddle Planc Lifts.

Does anyone remeber how these worked?

John Sapinoso

i believe that's utilizing a small jump to enter the planche position as an aid to get up while a lift is pure strength off the ground

Cole Dano

The bounces can done on a gymnastic ball.

Mats Trane

ok thanks guys, its like a German.

Anyway I´m finally getting a stable advanced tuckplanch. What are your thoughts/experience on going from advanced tuck planch to stradle planch?

John Sapinoso

It's hard to say without knowing what your planche looks like (where your specific weak link is).

Mats Trane

Thanks John, I´ll make a video tomorrow.

Mats Trane

xk3ubgMoWq0

John Sapinoso

I worked a hybrid of tuck and straddle (looks like a frog split sort of hold) with good results. That in combination with straddle bounces / lifts should do it.

Mats Trane

Ok thanks alot John!

Joshua Naterman
John Sapinoso said:
I worked a hybrid of tuck and straddle (looks like a frog split sort of hold) with good results. That in combination with straddle bounces / lifts should do it.

That's definitely been my approach with straight body stuff when I go from adv tuck to straddle. It's just a very simple way to get the exact resistance you need at the moment.

One thing I saw a young girl doing that looked pretty intelligent was to get into the adv tuck, quickly stretch out into the straddle and immediately come back. No hold, just that split second of extra effort. Obviously you don't need to go ALL the way to straddle at first, but incorporating pulses like that where you get a small bit of extra resistance would be a good idea once or twice a week. I wouldn't do that more often, as it should make the holds a bit more intense.

Daniel Burnham

If you have a spotter, a useful way to build volume in a position is to have them hold you in the position whether it be straddle or full lay then drop their hands for a split second while you attempt to keep your body in the same place. When you fail they again push you into the correct position and repeat the process after a little rest. Works very well for levers.

This is basically the same as the bounce that you do yourself except that you are always in the position and don't have move into it.

Joshua Naterman
Daniel Burnham said:
If you have a spotter, a useful way to build volume in a position is to have them hold you in the position whether it be straddle or full lay then drop their hands for a split second while you attempt to keep your body in the same place. When you fail they again push you into the correct position and repeat the process after a little rest. Works very well for levers.

This is basically the same as the bounce that you do yourself except that you are always in the position and don't have move into it.

Spotters are definitely amazing for learning curve reduction! I set my pulleys up with a climbing harness yesterday and found that to be far preferable to a dream machine for learning planche and planche push ups. It is extremely, extremely hard for me to do even 2 proper straddle planche push ups with an 85 lb assist, and by putting my hands below the pulley I automatically find out where my center of gravity is :)

Somewhat importantly, in theory, I noticed that this setup also allowed me to start working on straddle planche -> half press HS. Seriously difficult, only accomplished 70% of the ROM at best for 2 reps with the same assist.

I like it because you aren't held in place and the balancing doesn't change much from free movement. A nice way to get some volume in without your CoG getting jerked all over the place. Still probably not equal to a spotter, but I'll take what I can get in my home gym!