Rotating the Body Around the Shoulders

Started by Sailor Venus, June 15, 2012 · 5 Replies · 2,492 Views

Sailor Venus

How do you develop strength for the shoulders so I could keep my pelvis from touching my arms and lean forward when I try the L-Straddle? And eventually one day, from there, roll the whole body up round the shoulder from the l-straddle to a handstand. I always wanted to do that!

I believe it is also relevant for the manna though its not currently on my training regime.

I find cranks to be helpful as it burns my shoulders nicely. Thanks.

Sailor Venus

what's compression, mate?

Sailor Venus

sorry man i still don't get it. lol. don't know what's a stack either. i'm still lost!

Rik de Kort

Dude, 'stack'. You're from the UK, you should know what a stack is. It's when you put things up above eachother. In a good HS your shoulders, hips and toes are stacked above eachother so you get a nice straight line. Stacking here means that you can get your hips up over your shoulders.

Compression is going into a pike by lifting your legs. Like in V-sit.

If you can compress well, your legs are going to be closer to your hands, which means your centre of mass will be closer to your hands, which means that you can more easily stack yourself because you don't have to lean forward as much.

Sailor Venus

Lol I'm still not familiar with all these gymnastic jargons. Yeah, plus I found this video a few days ago that helped me understand the logistic and science behind this l-straddle or whatever to handstand. Thanks Rik.

the video taught me a new excercise to put into my program: hip lifts from the headstand position. Tried the new exercise today. Weird exercise but I love it!