What are the different benefits of these two pseudos? Ive been eating buckwheat in the mornings and as an occasional snack since reading about it here, but i recently saw quinoa at the store, and I like how it tastes 8) Anyone eating quinoa?
Quinoa and Buckwheat
Started by Ian Myers, June 14, 2012 · 4 Replies · 3,079 Views
igm503 said:What are the different benefits of these two pseudos? Ive been eating buckwheat in the mornings and as an occasional snack since reading about it here, but i recently saw quinoa at the store, and I like how it tastes 8) Anyone eating quinoa?
Quinoa is fantastic!! Love dosent really have a taste. Flavor it with whatever you like. I use brown gravy and sometimes spaghetti sauce
My lunch yesterday consisted of quinoa with green bell peppers, onions, carrots, tomatoes, and various refrigerated green things
That along with ham was great! ![]()
Apparently, they're more anabolic than rice. Which may make it a good substitute for all the ectomorphs out there looking to gain some weight. It may have some anti nutrients, however.
So I believe they need to be soaked before eating them.
Personally, I don't mess with it but I know people who love it.
Both are technically seeds I believe. That probably accounts for the higher and excellent quality
protein content.
I've tried buckwheat and don't mind it as a breakfast cereal, but found it a bit "mucosal" (there's another word but
not coming to mind). Growing up my grandma would make kasha, which is the toasted buckweat. I recall it coming out much drier, so may try that at some point.
Haven't tried quinoa yet, outside of what's included in "ancient grains" cereal, though it seems like a good option. The saponins that are an irritant are in the "shell" which are removed prior to sale and consumption typically.
Edit: made quinoa tonight to have with jerk chicken instead of rice. Worked very well. Light and nice. Held a bit more
water than rice but not mushy at all...