This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Sune - My Skills Log

Started by Sune, June 9, 2012 · 3 Replies · 325 Views

Sune

First of all:

I intend to use this log to post videos of my progress with various gymnastic skills and hopefully a monthly comparison summing up results and notes. It will therefore not contain much information on my workouts.

A very short personal resume:

I began artistic gymnastic training about 4 years ago, when I moved to Aalborg, Denmark. Prior to this I trained other types of gymnastics, tumbling, team gym and I was training a lot of tricking as well. I am a 25 year old male, 1.79 m (5’11’’) and currently weigh 73 kg (~160lb). My goals for the next year of training are primarily focused around rings and parallel bars. I will train high bar and pommel horse from time to time, but floor and vault will be neglected mostly, due to back-problems. Even though I started training 4 years ago, I have been injured most of the time. Now however, I feel that I can train SR, PB, HB and PH without any pain, and I’m progressing well with most skills.

More about this log:

I plan to add notes on possible corrections of form and technique, and if any readers have additional comments, I will be very thankful to hear them. Any other comments are also very welcome.

Sune

From May 24 to June 9

I have been busy with exams, but I managed 3 training sessions in gym along with a lot of home training. I tried out one armed handstands the other day, which felt a lot stronger than any previous attempts (It has been several years since I last made a serious attempt), and I will definitely train them as often as possible from now on.

Rings

My swings are slowly getting better.

ZZropjZUZQw

- First set is just warm up, but I have trouble swinging in the same plane. After a couple of swings I started swinging a bit sideways. Not sure how to avoid this.

- In second set I realized I needed to turn the rings more out.

- Third set, I open my shoulders more on this one, but I feel that I'm at the limit of my current ROM. I believe I need to wait a bit longer before turning out the rings in order to get more height in the back swing.

Other Ring Skills

Inlocate and dislocate

Straddle planche attempt

Back lever

Shaky press to handstand

Double back dismount

0HgCDEm79Ag

- Handstands were terrible today :(

- I need to maintain tension on the rings in inlocate, and actively press towards inverse cross

- Planche is still very shaky, but at least i can lock out my elbows now

- I SERIOUSLY NEED TO WORK ON MY FACIAL EXPRESSION WHEN DOING PLANCHE

Parallel Bars - Front toss attempt

Not as difficult as I first imagined, but there is still a long way to go before I'll try it on the PBars.

dYxky0BhBoc

- Height is not always advantageous!

- I need to grow a beard again

Planche

Not my best hold but I am feeling more confident with my elbows.

OSdhEc7LECE

One Armed Handstand

GFGnacyeQGY

- My allignment is way off on my left side

- I'll just continue training 1-5 finger supported OAH for now, feels like the quickest way to build up shoulder strength

BONUS

Box jumps with weight held in hands. Immobilizing the arm swing, demands more pure leg strength, very fun. The weight plate was 15 kg.

qaB5IwRyg4s

- I DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING THESE! they put a lot of strain on the lower back, due to the weight being held in front of the body. They are quite fun to do though, I need a weight vest.

- I think I'll do a max height jump test soon.

.

timg
Sune said:

- I need to grow a beard again

lol, good stuff though, hope i can get that far in 4 years!

Sune

Still quite busy with exams so not much time in gym.

My home workout today was based on ankle weights.

Completed two cycles of the following exercises with two 1 kg ankle weights:

60s hollow

60s arch

60s Plank

60s reverse plank

60s stomach to wall handstands

additionally (Also with weights):

3 x 10 Body Levers

3 x 10 RLL

3 x 30s L-sit

various balistic kicking

Finished up with handstand training. I managed a pike press with ankle weights which quite surprised me, although Arms were slightly bent.

RbXrps2uquk

Last weekend I tried out some more PB skills, Healy, which I would very much like to learn, and some front dismounts, neither being very remarkable.

XTzlneAP1IM

Healy: I will try to turn in a closer-to-vertical position and get my left arm down faster.

Dismounts: I've done better than these, but I can't say they are very consistent. I will just have to do a lot more of them.