Different diet's - advice

Started by UK2GYMNASTICS, June 9, 2012 · 3 Replies · 2,369 Views

UK2GYMNASTICS

Hi all,

I have been reading these forms for a while and have been doing some research into the various diets available and would like some advice. Let me start with the basics.

23yrs male

6ft 1"

180lb

bf not sure but at an est i would say between 13-15%

goal: To gain muscle mass whilst losing weight/staying lean. Essentially, I would like to get down to and maintain 8% BF whilst increasing muscle size (at the rate fast as possible).

workout time: morning 6:30am.

I am not sure what is the best diet approach to achieve my goals (lets say in the shortest time) and would like to hear the advice of some of the more experienced diets / nutrition experts - The diets I am interested in are

1) Leangains (IF)

2) Eat-stop-eat (IF)

3) "Continuous energy balance"

4) Paleo diet

1) Leangains - I have tried this, but sometimes due to social reason (i.e. going out) it is sometimes hard to fit in my meals during the 8 hour window. I like to eat lunch at work but sometimes if I stay late, I am going to miss the 8 hour window for dinner so this is harder to stick to due to practical reasons rather than me not having the ability to. When I sampled this, I did take BCAA on workout days pre and post workout, until lunch time.

2) Eat-stop-eat -I haven't done this but I have the book and it seems interesting and I would like some further opinion on this for those who have experienced it. Practically speaking, it would be easier to follow as there would be no eating window for me to work around.

3) Continuous energy balance - I would use nutritiming for this and would eat smaller meals but more frequently. The only problem I may find with this is the smaller meal size, which I am not a particularly big fan off. However, if this is a good method, then I could try it for a period of time to see if I can adjust to it and continue to use this diet.

Looking at other threads, the basic idea is to stay within a certain calorie range, with more time in deficit than in surplus (perhaps net surplus on WO days and net deficit on non-WO days?)

Taken from another thread as an e.g.

> 400 surplus = fat and muscle gain (with muscle stress)

0-400 surplus = muscle gain (with muscle stress)

0-400 deficit = fat loss

> 400 deficit = muscle loss and fat loss

4) Paleo diet - I haven't had much of a chance to read up on this, but the basic idea is to eat unprocessed food (essentially you will only be eating clean food, which is likely to be low calorie) and maintain this. I believe this approach could be incorporated in to the other diets, but as stated, I haven't begun much research into this so apologies if what I have said is incorrect.

I would like to know if anyone can recommend or offer their experiences with the diet above, or recommend which diet would be the best given my goals. Alternatively, I welcome any other comments. Also, as a side question, what the risks of the above diets are on causing diabetes.

I am currently sorting out a novice gymnastic plan too and I was hoping to start my new training schedule and diet at the same time. Please note, I have been lifting on-off for about 5 years.

Thanks, I appreciate your help.

gravy

I recommend eating like a caveman (paleo).

The most important thing, I think, is to view it not as a diet but as a lifestyle. Diets don't really work; especially if you're a social person. It takes a lot of time to develop good eating habits. Don't be too strict with the foods you eat, but don't be too lenient either. I recommend Robb Wolf's Paleo Solution for general guidelines on eating. That book has a lot of research backing its claims (which he cites in the back of the book!).

The sticky on Yo-Yo dieting has a well written article that goes over the psychological and social aspects of dieting. And this is the follow up on Yo-Yo dieting: http://robbwolf.com/2008/02/08/performa ... esthetics/ Both are really good reads.

Note: I am not affiliated with Robb Wolf in any way.

Quick Start Test Smith

As far as I know:

Paleo isn't a specific method of eating as far as times and amounts are concerned but of food selection. "If man made, don't eat it" and whatnot. Eat Stop Eat and Continuous Energy Balance can both utilize the paleo method of food selection but aren't limited to it. :)

UK2GYMNASTICS

Thanks, I will most likely be apply a Paleo food selection, with the exception of rice and milk!

Otherwise, does anyone else have comments on the best "diet" for body recomposition?