Straddle back lever problems [Video Added]

Started by Daniel Burnham, June 9, 2012 · 11 Replies · 2,401 Views

Daniel Burnham

Hey guys I am having a bit of trouble with my straddle back lever. I can hold the advance tuck for about 35 seconds so I have moved into the straddle but my legs are uneven. One leg ends up being about 6 inches higher than the other. I believe I am tilted at the hip. Has anyone experienced this before? I think it is a problem with mobility but I am not quite sure how to resolve it.

Ill post a video later to show more of what I am talking about

qK5SLnJ5h2A

srw9TNlNz7g

iDekAYrLHvg

Joshua Naterman

See about having someone correct you on the fly, that will be your best bet. Could be the hips, could be the shoulders. Could be that you're rotating in the spine slightly, hard to say without seeing... you might just be a little weaker on one side and automatically correcting, I don't know. Video will definitely help :)

Daniel Burnham
Joshua Naterman said:
See about having someone correct you on the fly, that will be your best bet. Could be the hips, could be the shoulders. Could be that you're rotating in the spine slightly, hard to say without seeing... you might just be a little weaker on one side and automatically correcting, I don't know. Video will definitely help :)

Will do. I hurt my bicep yesterday so I didn't want to try it today. Should have one on monday. My first thought is that it is hip rotation because I had problems with that when I used to squat very heavy. I have been doing Ido hip mobilization drills. Is there any other mobility I can do in the mean time.

Joshua Naterman

Mobility may not be the problem. Hard to say much without being there, but you may have some imbalances or just plain old bad habits that are at work.

Hanging FL windshield wipers or side planks may help if done properly, but seriously I would have to be there to personally assess what's going on. Make sure you let me know when you get back to ATL!

Daniel Burnham

Added videos. I took them at the end of the workout so the holds are pretty short. Try to not pay attention to the guy dancing in the mirror while flexing with 5 pound weights he is actually a pretty funny guy. Also fair warning to mute your computer. The music there is pretty bad consisting mostly of strange remixes to pop music.

After looking at the video Im still not quite sure. I feel fairly straight and didn't notice it until i looked in the mirror. Not that its relevant but I can hold a full back lever when I cheat by squeezing my arms to my lats pretty easily.

Joshua Naterman said:
Mobility may not be the problem. Hard to say much without being there, but you may have some imbalances or just plain old bad habits that are at work.

Hanging FL windshield wipers or side planks may help if done properly, but seriously I would have to be there to personally assess what's going on. Make sure you let me know when you get back to ATL!

I think you're right about just having imbalances and also my proprioception is off.

Its something I'm pretty sure ill have to get worked with during the open gym this week.

Im actually coming back to ATL this weekend for a wedding. Ill give you a text in the morning.

Im going to try to use a spotter to sort it out in the mean time.

Joshua Naterman

I think you may just be a little weak and/or tight on one side in the shoulder/chest/bicep area... hard to say for sure. That is probably why you start twisting. You may already have fixed the hypothetical imbalance and simply not re-learned the right position yet.

Nicolas

Hmm... Don't know if i am seeing it correctly but it looks like your rings are not at the same height... used to have that problem as well :D

timg
Nicolas said:
Hmm... Don't know if i am seeing it correctly but it looks like your rings are not at the same height... used to have that problem as well :D

looks that way to me as well...

Joshua Naterman
timg said:
Nicolas said:
Hmm... Don't know if i am seeing it correctly but it looks like your rings are not at the same height... used to have that problem as well :D

looks that way to me as well...

They definitely look off in the last video. That's one of the tough things about the rings in their current form.

Daniel Burnham
Nicolas said:
Hmm... Don't know if i am seeing it correctly but it looks like your rings are not at the same height... used to have that problem as well :D

Yes the rings in the last video are a little off. But the first video was taken after the rings were adjusted with the same result. I also have the same issue at the gymnastic gym where the rings don't move and are even. I'll try to take another video there tomorrow.

Nic Branson

Took a watch there. I would take a look at your hip flexors and active single side glute mobility.

Daniel Burnham

Did a good amount of mobility work in the shoulders and hips before my workout today. Didn't see the same things happen on the high rings. Not sure exactly what the problem was or if it will reoccur.