Help with Gymnastics strength and conditioning

Started by scotty_21, June 8, 2012 · 3 Replies · 2,137 Views

scotty_21

Hi all,

I'm very new to the gymnastics scene. I'm a strength and conditioning student going into my third year at university in London. I've recently got a job as a strength and conditioning coach at a private gymnastics club near me and I'm struggling to find different exercises to do with the athletes.

The athletes I coach are aged 5-14, all very good gymnasts. They get sent to me in different groups and I do the same sort of thing with each group. However, the equipment I have available to use is very limited. All I've done so far is use mats for the gymnasts to standon/perform exercises on. The exercises I've used to far are:

Press Ups

Sit Ups

V-sit

Burpees

Mountain climbers

Plank/side plank

Back extensions

Tuck Jumps

Bodyweight squats

And then I get them to perform the right, left and box splits to finish.

I use reps of 15-30 (dependent on exercise, press ups is around 10).

Could anyone shed some light as to what else I could do with them? Like a mentioned, they're great athletes and very disciplined (some more than others), and are happy to do and try new things.

Any ideas?

Rik de Kort

Get the book, read the stickies.

Make sure you get some rings in there!

scotty_21

What book is that? Yeah I'm still having a look around the site, and I've only been at the job for three weeks. I don't think they have rings!

Rik de Kort

Then they can't be a gymnastics club. Get some rings ASAP.

The book is Building the Gymnastic Body, available on the site.