This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Patrick Wilson's Log

Started by PatrickWilson, June 7, 2012 · 18 Replies · 1,113 Views

PatrickWilson

Well first a bit about myself. I use to be fat. By fat I mean I was 5'10" and weighed 247 lbs and my hobby was a MMORPG (video games). Certain events came about that helped me to suddenly, very suddenly, realize that my activities were very much against who I wanted to be. I quit video games that day, started walking to school, and eventually found a job. That much combined with my decision to stop eating fast food helped me cut my weight down to 180 lbs (total weight loss of 67 lbs). Then my Senior year I enrolled into weight lifting and put a little more than 20 lbs of solid muscle on myself. It became apparent to me that I could actually perform well physically when I put my mind to it. At the end of my senior year I became interested in parkour. Unfortunately without a coach instructing me on what to lift, I had drifted to isolation exercises that eventually led to some severe muscular imbalances. Fast forward 6 years (Parkour ->Capoeira-->Tournament Karate-->Traditional Karate) I have decided to step away from weight lifting, upon the advice of my Karate instructor. Up until now I have been doing pull ups-dips-chin ups-push ups- and handstand work. Now that I have been reading the BtGB I must say I am truly inspired. This seems to be strength training that will be the most beneficial to my Karate, and it has certain skills I have always wanted to obtain.

Simply put I am a 6'0" 184 lbs guys who is of a thick build. I am no massive being by any means, but I have large legs (naturally) with broad shoulders and a large chest. Since I have stopped lifting weights for about 2 months I am now at my smallest size ever, and pretty happy about it. I do not expect to be able to do any flips without my trampoline (although it would be nice), but I feel I could obtain planche and muscles ups at some point.

I am always looking for advice, and I do not take offense to harsh criticism. Therefore if you see something wrong with what I am doing and you have a valid opinion please educate me.

Short Term Goals

30s Frog stand

30s L-Sit with Paralettes

30s Tucked front Lever

30s Tucked Back Lever

30s Free Handstand

Long Term Goals

Static Planche

Muscle Up

L-sit to Hanstand

PatrickWilson

After mining through some of the material on the forums and reading the BtGB this is what I have come up with.

Warm Up

60s plank

60s reverse plank

60s perfect hollow hold with hands over your head

60s arch hold in the superman flying position

60s Parallel Bar support.

60s chin up grip dead hang

My form may not be the most ideal, but I can complete all of these at this point. They are difficult, but doable. I also utilize the plank as a planche lean instead with my biceps facing the same direction as my head.

Routine 3 Days a Week

FSP

10x6s Frog Stand

10x6s L-sit with Parallettes

10x6s tucked back lever

10x6s tucked front lever

Since I do not have parallel bars I was unsure how to train the Straddle L.

FBE

3x3 XR Push-ups

5x5 Dips (using chairs)

3x5 HeSPU (with wall)

3x3 Chest Roll HeS

3x5 Rows - XR Ground

3x5 Chin ups L

3x5 V-Ups

3x5 HLL tuck

3x5 Arch Ups*

3x5 Windshield Wipers Supine

3x5 Deck Squats

3x3 SLS Negative (with support)

I have designed this program after having gone to a local gymnastics gym to try out some of the exercises. I do not have access to PB so I have to use chairs. I can easily knock out 20 dips no worries, but I am unsure how to perform Bulgarians with the chairs as the chairs keep slipping.

The HLL Tuck is being performed with no back support, and my arch ups are from laying on the ground since I can't seem to find anything to help me do the full ROM without help.

The only point I am confused on is that I thought the routines were supposed to be short. While I do not mind the duration I am worried that I have made an error somewhere. Unless something is terribly wrong I plan on carrying this out for 4-8 weeks starting tomorrow. After I feel secure in all techniques I will adjust to more difficult techniques.

timg

For the straddle L i'm assuming you can't train it because you're parralets are too low, is this right?

Before i made higher ones, used to put my parralettes(actually pushup bars) on two phone books to give me an extra 10-15cm clearance. Anything thick and stable works as well, just make sure it's not so big it gets in the way of your feet.

Also if you train the straddle L with your feet touching the floor but still making a conscious effort to put as little weight on them as possible it may also help.

Many people split their FBE routines into combined vertical pull/vertical push, horizontal pull/horizontal push and multiplane pull/push whilst keeping the same warm up and FSP routines each session. This will save you some time.

PatrickWilson

That is a good idea for the straddle L! I will try it out tomorrow.

I suppose that is a possibility, breaking up the FBE. Will that still yeild optimal results?

timg

It's what most people seem to do and it's often recommended on the site. If you look at the non ring strength WODs they also follow that rough pattern

PatrickWilson

So basically cut out what I am planning on doing (aside from core and legs) and utilize combined vertical pull/vertical push, horizontal pull/horizontal push and multiplane pull/push ?

Rik de Kort

You're doing way too much. Right now, you only need a couple of exercises to progress really fast.

Pick a horizontal push, horizontal pull, vertical push (start off with handstand work so you're not actually doing an FBE for htis in the beginning), vertical pull and leg push, maybe a leg pull (GHR) if you want. If you're not doing a leg pull, you're going to need a lower back exercise as well. If you're not performing compression work, utilize another core variation.

Go for a variation you can perform with excellent form for 3x3. Best to start off on an easier variation than a harder one.

Your routine will look like this:

Warmup: Joint circling, easy FBE's. The basic idea is to get the joints prepared to handle the stresses of working out and ready to go through the full range of motion. You'll also want to get the blood flowing to your muscles.

Skill work: Handstand is what you'll start out with. You can find stuff on it in the Handstand forum. You can also do this after the FSP warmup; it depends on preference.

FSP warmup: You can find information on this in the Getting Started forum. DO NOT SKIP THE PREREQUISITES! Use the 50% of your max for 1 minute total time protocol and run an SSC for at least back lever (don't start training BL until you have a 3x30s German Hang) and planche (don't start training planche until you have a 3x30s L-sit).

FBE workout: Simply perform the exercises you picked, doing the ones you're worst in first. Make sure you take enough rest in between sets (up to 5-7 minutes if that's what you need), but don't get cold! The progression system is simple. Add reps to your sets until you can do the next variation for 3x3 properly (excellent form), then go to that variation. Pay attention to your joints and connective tissues and make sure you back off if needed.

Cooldown: stretching, mobility work, prehab. Compression work is good here and helps out tremendously with L-sit. You can also get some dumbells and curl here for a bit higher reps if you want, because it's "biceps prehab". :lol:

Once you get to the point where you are good at ring pushups and pullups, you can start thinking about utilizing dips and inverted chinups. If you want to do these, add in dips as vertical push (don't take out your HS work!) and swap your vertical pull with inverted chinups.

You may also want to start adding in multiplane variations at this point since you have a decent level of strength. The basic idea is to swap out the planes the specific exercise you want to do goes through. So if you were to do, say, pullovers, you'd swap out the horizontal pull and vertical pull and do pullovers instead. Same with CPP, but swapping out the appropiate pull and push. Not only does this save time, it's also a lot of fun, it builds strength in positions not really covered by the planes and you get to learn some very cool skills.

Start out with 3x a week. I'd suggest running 'cycles' of 6-8 weeks with your FBE's. First you do the standard FBE's for 6-8 weeks. Then you reevaluate and may decide to do a MPPu variation instead of your regular pulls, so you do that for 6-8 weeks. Make sure you work on your weaknesses more than on your good points. So that means if you're having no problem with vertical pulling and horizontal pulling, but are experiencing a lot of difficulties with MPPu variations, you should do a MPPu variation! If you're having problems with all three, then do vertical pulling and horizontal pulling seperately. You have to be able to walk before you can run.

This type of routine is a little bit different from the killroy template, which has you doing much lower volume and cycling pushes and pulls and stuff. The reason I prefer this type is that it allows you to really focus on a few exercises, which consequently will bring rapid improvement in those exercises. After you complete a cycle, you can work other goals, which will bring rapid improvement in those areas while preserving the gains you had previously.

PatrickWilson

I grabbed this warm up off of a thread about starting correctly. I believe this is Slizzardman's creation. Is it not adequate?

I read some more of the Prerequisite page and this is what I have gleaned;

1) Skip the leavers for now and practice german hangs. This will help prep my shoulder girdle for levers.

2) Frog's are fine, but I should skip any more planche work until I have L-sits (on the floor?) for 3x30s.

3) Maybe trim down my FBE list.

4) Focus on ring pull/push ups.

5) Do this routine for 6-8 weeks, then check out new abilities and adjust routine.

Does this seem right?

As for the cool down, would a relaxed game of Frisbee or some slacklining count :D . Seriously though what would you suggest? A light stretch? A walk? Just keep moving?

Rik de Kort

Yes, you are right. Floor L-sit is the requirement. At least, it's the only way that allows no room for error so you really are ready.

Ring strength is built by spending a lot of time on the rings. So yeah, focus on ring pushups, pullups. Also get your support hold in order.

I personally do very little in the way of cooldown. Maybe go for a light run, stretch a bit. A game of frisbee counts, sure. Slacklining counts if you can still do it. :P

PatrickWilson

Ok, this is making more sense now. It felt like BtGB was very vague, but from what I have read, that was by design.

Rik de Kort

From what I know, the second edition will be much less vague. It's just that Coach had little experience working with the general fitness crowd and so specific things like body positions were not mentioned in the book, while they are very important.

PatrickWilson

This is my revised routine. I was a bit confused as to how to work in handstands so I decided to simply dedicate a certain amount of time to it during each session. I also played with the idea of using it on my off days instead. Major changes are that I am placing the parralettes higher and performing a tucked L-sit, because I can't do that for 30s, let alone 3x30s. As for the FBE I wanted to target a lot more of my core and stabilizer muscles, because this is where I feel weakest. Especially my lumbar area. I was not sure if I should have both dips and push-ups, but I included them both anyways.

Does this look better or does it need more work.

P.S.- You were right I could not even do most of the exercises, especially with Slizzardman's warm up.

Warm Up60s plank

5m light whole body stretch

60s reverse plank

60s perfect hollow hold with hands over your head

60s arch hold in the superman flying position

60s Parallel Bar support.

60s chin up grip dead hang

Routine 3 Days a Week MWF

FSP

10x6s Frog Stand - MWF

10x6s tucked L-sit with Parallettes - MWF

10x6s German Hang - MWF

5-10 minutes of Handstand work utilizing the wall

FBE

3x3 XR Push-ups

5x5 Dips (using chairs)

3x5 Rows - XR Ground

3x5 V-Ups

3x5 HLL tuck

3x5 Arch Ups

3x5 Windshield Wipers Supine

3x5 Deck Squats

timg

My 2 cents, am not as experienced as most on this forum but i once was very weak and am now stronger.

if i were you i would do some floor pushups as well as part of your warm up, 3x3 xr pushups isn't much volume.

You'll probably find your frog stand times will improve a lot quicker than your german hangs.

make sure your hollow is really good, just do arms by side if over the head is too much for you.

Do some foot supported (light support) german hangs if 10x6 is taking up too much time, maybe do 4x6 normal and then 2x16 feet supported.

Imo, doing 10 sets of 6 tucked L-sits is a waste of time as your 60s of hollow is more of a workout and you can do 5x5 dips. make sure you are doing your dips full rom and slow tempo, no jerking and minimal arching.

make sure you really retract your scapula on the rows (pull your shoulderblades together behind you) or you will end up working the wrong muscles.

i love v-ups and i think people forget how good of an exercise they are if done properly, make sure you're arms don't move too far away from your ears and your legs stay straight.

PatrickWilson

Good call on the GH

I thought L-sits were mandatory for working out. I do not see how the dips tie in with L-sits, but I do them at a slow tempo. I will keep in mind the hands at the side hollow, because that has been difficult.

I will also be out of town, and then going to Special Training. I will be unable to do any strength training during Special Training because it is so rigorous, but I will resume as soon as I return.... maybe a day later.

PatrickWilson

Yesterday

Deep stretching for 30 minutes. Emphasis was on loosening up my hips and elongating my lower back.

Today

I tried to sneak in as much exercise as I could before work. Night shift is killing me, but I had to do something. I have done no strength training for 2 weeks. While one of those weeks was Special Training for Shotokan, I am still feeling the itch.

Warm Up

5m light whole body stretch

60s plank

60s reverse plank

60s perfect hollow hold with hands over your head

60s arch hold in the superman flying position

60s Parallel Bar support.

60s chin up grip dead hang

The hollow hold is very difficult for me at this point. I had my feet touch the ground about 5 times.

FSP

5 minutes of Handstand work utilizing the wall

10x6s tucked L-sit with Parallettes

10x6s German Hang

The German Hand is feeling amazing. Since I work at a computer often, this stretch is relieving a lot of the hunching muscles I have developed. Handstands are going fairly well I can hold a good handstand (body extended, toes pointed, feet together) for about 5 seconds before I start to lose form. When I lose form I rest on the wall or I start over.

Weekly Goals

I plan on cleaning out my attic this weekend. Hopefully I can set up my XR that came in the mail. I would also like to set up a station using Horses (carpentry) so I can do dips and such.

PatrickWilson

I am finally able to return to training. I have had a lot of set backs, and it has been unusually hard to start this training (partially due to the unfamiliarity), but I am determined to do this. My had has finally healed up (I lacerated it on river rocks), so I can put pressure on it and grab my pull up bar without too much pain and zero bleeding.

I have cleaned out an area for training, but I am unsure how to hang the rings. I plan to search the forum later tonight when I have some free time at work.

PatrickWilson

Warm Up

5m light whole body stretch

60s plank

60s reverse plank

60s perfect hollow hold with hands over your head

60s arch hold in the superman flying position

60s Parallel Bar support.

Instead of touching my feet on the ground with the hollow hold I bent my knees. Mosto f the time my legs were straight though.

FSP

5 minutes of Handstand work utilizing the wall

5x6s German Hang

I played around with the handstands today. While I was against the wall I tried lowering one leg and scissor kicking the other. I also knocked out a few HsPU

Weekly Goals

I have another trip down to the SOD (Shotokan Ohshima Dojo) this weekend. I will try to work in some of the FSP and the FBE, but as usual my focus will be Karate.

Fed X

Overhead Press @ 166lbs

2x1=2

1x1=7

Back Squats @ 191lbs

6x2=12

3x1=3

On the overhead press... I was aiming for triples @ 166lbs for 3x3=9 :evil: trying to follow Marty Gallagher's "Want To Make “The Beast†Feel Lighter? Try A Dose Of Free Weight Barbell Training" program :evil: ... but I had to end up breaking down into 7 singles & 1 double

PatrickWilson

Alright, I am not exactly sure why you posted that on my workout log, but thanks.

The warm up is actually suprisingly difficult for me. Holding those static positions really takes most of my strength away. I have been doing the 60s warm ups twice a week, but I have not been able to fit in the exercises with any regularity. I figure with determination and commitment I will be able to do the basic routine that I have set out to do, until then I have to space out my workout or else I feel pain in my shoulders.