Contact with rings during planche

Started by Giancarlo, June 7, 2012 · 4 Replies · 2,587 Views

Giancarlo

Hi folks, I've been looking at a lot of ring planche videos as I'm trying to progress beyond rings tuck planche and I've noticed that a lot of people's forearms seem to be touching the top arch of the rings. I just wondered whether or not that's acceptable? I think when the straddle and full planche are performed the lean is so much that no contact can be made with the rings besides the grip, but I've noticed it in video's of people performing ring handstands as well. It may be a trick of the camera angle but I just want to know if it's okay to do in training initially? Thanks.

Kyle Devlin

From what i believe, No. Definitely try to turn out the rings and don't allow the forearms to touch any part of the rings.

Edit* Initially it probably isnt a super big deal, you just cant keep doing it after a while since it might hinder progress.

Patrick Van de Glind

I cannot do a planche myself, but it's definitly on my goals list..

Here is a video I found where the guy isn't touching the rings in his planche:

Mswl_C-rnbc

Sune

Planche on rings are also often seen with rings parallel, creating a hand placement equal to that on parallel bars, e.g. in the 'Learn to use Gymnastic Rings - XR straddle planche' video. I imagine it being easier to press to handstand with parallel rings compared to rings turned out, but turned out rings do look extremely cool.

Gregor
Sune said:
Planche on rings are also often seen with rings parallel, creating a hand placement equal to that on parallel bars, e.g. in the 'Learn to use Gymnastic Rings - XR straddle planche' video. I imagine it being easier to press to handstand with parallel rings compared to rings turned out, but turned out rings do look extremely cool.

Not only it looks better, it is better for maltese.