Ring dips depth

Started by Fady Georgi, June 7, 2012 · 4 Replies · 4,780 Views

Fady Georgi

Hello,

I was trying to take Coach Sommer's advice to increase dips and pull ups ROM in order to achieve muscle up , I was wondering the dips depth I should target (currently I can do ring dips setting rings lower edge ~3-5 cm lower to my shoulders while making toes touch the ground at the bottom of the dips).

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Fady

Piotr Ochocki

Simply, target as much ROM in your dips as physically possible.

This means that as you lower your rings/wrists will be just around your chest and you will be sort of resting on the rings without pushing hard with your triceps to hold the position.

Kim Jongseong
fady said:
Hello,

I was trying to take Coach Sommer's advice to increase dips and pull ups ROM in order to achieve muscle up , I was wondering the dips depth I should target (currently I can do ring dips setting rings lower edge ~3-5 cm lower to my shoulders while making toes touch the ground at the bottom of the dips).

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Fady

The hardest part of a muscle up is the transition between pull up and dip. and both pull up and dip don't help the transition even if you do full ROM. I'd do russian dips and negative muscle ups.

Evilllamas

I achieved my first muscle up through ring dips- I'd go as deep as possible, so my hands would be about level with my upper chest.

More recently I added inverted pull ups, and imediatly found I lacked strength in the more extreme ROM required for them, I'v noticed muscle up improvements since doing them though.

A muscle up seems to require strength in the shoulders / lats when the arms are quite far back.

Fady Georgi

Thanks Guys for your replies, I'll try negative muscle-ups, and negative pulls ( I cannot try Russian dips right now as I don't have access to parallel bars :( ) .. and I'll let you know of the progress ;-)