planche training form check

Started by thenail01, June 6, 2012 · 11 Replies · 4,890 Views

thenail01

comments/critique welcome:

http://youtu.be/-2x6XAu6d58

Thanks.

(PS still can't figure out how to embed videos)

thenail01

Thanks. Yes I've realized the weak protraction issues - watching myself has definitely helped. I've started doing scapular protraction/retraction conditioning just with getting in a pushup position and protracting/retracting - any other ideas for strengthening this though? (It gets ugly if I try to straddle).

I turned the XBRs out like that to simulate ring positioning - I've got a few ideas on how to both simulate rings and get the rockers to rock...

And the hips higher than shoulders - I think Slizzardman talked about how this was ideal at some point (I could easily be wrong) - but like you said, when I fatigue they level out - so in a way it seems easier (less of an advanced tuck) to not maintain the hips higher than the shoulders.

Anyway, thanks for the help. I know of Ido's scapular routine but any other exercises for helping the scaps would be appreciated.

Brian Li
Zach Armijo said:
You need a much stronger protraction in your planche. You are also pushing up and backwards in your PPP when you should just be up and down. Your hips are high in your tuck and only level out in the end due to fatigue. A stronger lean forward will help you too. To get the most out of your XBRs, turn them parallel so they actually rock :)

How was his tuck planches not adequately protracted? I thought they looked good enough and well protracted, but just too high. How can you tell if they have the right amount of protraction or not?

Brian Li

Oh I see now, thanks. I have been only looking at if the shoulders were push downed instead of looking at scapulae winging to determine protraction.

thenail01

Thanks Zach. Thought up some protraction exercises. I'll post updates in a few weeks.

thenail01

bit late on the update. don't think my butt is as high as it seems. comments?

FTRnw.jpg

blackbird

Isn't the lower back supposed to be flat? I think you should scale back your straddle planche accordingly.

Btw nice form on that protraction. What exercises did you do to improve it so quickly?

Ian Legrow

huge improvement brother! WOW! well done!

Daniel Burnham
blackbird said:
Isn't the lower back supposed to be flat? I think you should scale back your straddle planche accordingly.

Btw nice form on that protraction. What exercises did you do to improve it so quickly?

In a perfect form yes but I wouldn't scale back the exercise since its pretty close. As you get stronger in this position it will be easier to improve form. A spotter would be great for this if you can find one.

thenail01

Thanks for the remarks. Um, what did I do? I think the most important thing was to really understand and feel the desired position - the desired protraction, hollowing, etc. Dillon???'s article really helped. I also started training real gymnastics.

But once I understood and FELT what the position I was looking for... was... I just integrated that into all the basic conditioning stuff that's been covered in this website and book. Other stuff I've been doing are lots of planche leans, ring pushup to 1 arm extended, back to pushup, other arm (archer pushups? half fly pushups? not sure of the name) making sure to maintain proper hollowing. Band assisted full planche, dumbbell work (back lever 2s, maltese 2s, planche 2s), then ring handstand presses, and I started working band assisted cross pulls (lots of assistance, high reps just to start prepping the tendons) and maltese board presses.

It's a work in progress.

Ian Legrow

You are working on a maltese?! how long have you been training gymnastics? You you have a pic or video?

thenail01

Haha not exactly - just the board presses Coach had a youtube video - I have a spotter. I'll post pictures/videos of my maltese in about 2 years, if that :)