This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Matt JC's Log

Started by Matthew Barrett, June 5, 2012 · 2 Replies · 258 Views

Matthew Barrett

I've been a long time tumbler and I love being active. I am happy with my physique which has come exclusively from tumbling. Last year I tried going to the gym and lifting weights. I just could not get into it. It was dull and slow paced. I bought Coach Sommer's book sometime late last year but I am just getting started into gymnastics training.

If anyone has any suggestions for my workout or how I can improve than please share! Right now the skills I am most focused on learning are multiple straddle press handstands from seated and the planche.

My warm-up:

Short run, 5 Muscle Ups, 10 box straddle press HS, 5 standing back tucks, 5 front lays, 15 foot straddled rope climb and 10 headstand Push Ups.

After working out I stretch and do various joint conditioning for an hour. I stretch and do joint conditioning every day even if I don't workout. Right now, I believe that the flexibility will be what holds my skill development back long before strength does.

JUNE 4, 2012

Chameleons

MSH, on beam

Front lever Rows, flat tuck

L-sit Hold

Straddled Rope Climb, I try do to do cirques but cannot currently do the full negative without feeling a great amount of pressure on my elbow so i grasp the rope with both hands before I start to feel pressure.

HS Hops

Clapping Pull Ups

JUNE 5, 2012

Cresent Push Ups

Front Suppport Hold

Wheels

Planche Holds, tucked

HS Wall Runs

Push Ups

Korean Dips

Matt JC

2/4/2012

 

I did more mastery tests.  By this timeI have completed mastery for SLS PE3, FL PE3, sPL PE3, HBP PE2, RC PE 2, SL PE2, MN PE2.

 

I'm very close to completing mastery for HBP PE3 and MN PE 3.  On the last few reps for HBP PE 3 I had to loose the planche lean to press back up.

 

I'm way behind in SL PE3 though.  It was tough just getting through 3x15 reps.  RC PE3 isn't to bad but towards the end my repetitions loose to much quality and I'm not getting the rings all the way to my chest.

 

2/6/2012

 

Based on the results for mastery I am starting my first week at the week 9 cycle point for HBP PE3, MN PE 3, SL PE 3 and week 5 SLS PE 4, FL PE 4, sPL PE 4, and RC PE 3.

 

I am following the 3 day cycle.

 

 

WEEK 1 DAY 2

 

MN PE 3 4x12

SL PE 3 4x12

SLS PE 4 4x4

Matt JC

2/9/2012

 

Day 3

 

sPL PE 4 4x24 sec

 

FL PE 4 4x48 reps

 

HBP PE 3 4x8 reps

 

RC PE 3 4x8

 

 

Finished off the workout with SL PE 1, sPL PE 1, mobility exercises and stretching.