breaking the 4 inch Barrier

Started by Wheelson, June 5, 2012 · 4 Replies · 2,451 Views

Wheelson

Hello all

Try as I might I've been struggling to break the 4inch mark in a stomach to wall handstand for quite some time. Granted i have been on and off with my handstands due to school, but nonetheless I haven't been able to break this barrier.

Any suggestions in terms of streches, exercises, or mobility work?

Thanks,

Will

Aaron Griffin

You need to focus more on your position and getting the proper balance and hollow body so that you can move closer. For instance, if you chest or thighs are touching the wall, you're likely unbalanced already (unless you have huge pecs or quads)

Wheelson

I am using a hollow body.

When I get to the point closer than 4 inches I lack the flexibilty to align my body. My shoulders are my limiting factor in that range not my body position

Rik de Kort

Wall extensions for active stretching and chinup/pullup deadhangs for passive stretching (real deadhangs, let your shoulder roll out of their sockets and stretch the lats). That should get you proper shoulder ROM.

Nic Branson

Also make sure you're working on your wrist mobility. It might not seem to be the issue but if there is a block there it will also contribute.