Headstands

Started by JacquelineRenee, June 5, 2012 · 3 Replies · 1,877 Views

JacquelineRenee

Hello, everyone. I'm new here, and I have a question. It seems lame, but I can't find any information on it so I'll just ask. What is the purpose of learning a headstand? Is it purely useful for strength training (the neck, I presume), or is it also a skill that should be learned as a progression to other skills?

Thanks ahead of time.

~Jacqueline

Scott Malin

Headstands are a stepping stone to handstands, especially if you pay close attention to body line. It's also necessary if you wish to reap the benefits of reverse leg lifts.

palmcron

For me, headstands were also the first position to get used to being upside down.

yuri marmerstein

I don't really include headstands in a handstand progression, but it is useful for beginners to get a feel for being upside down for extended periods with no wall support.