My straddle press is messy, and my pike press is not perfect, but its definitely progress!
JucARZrJR4k
LnHoZb-L9ZM
Started by Ian Legrow, June 4, 2012 · 13 Replies · 2,340 Views
My straddle press is messy, and my pike press is not perfect, but its definitely progress!
JucARZrJR4k
LnHoZb-L9ZM
Nice progress!
very nice
You are making really, really great progress!
Nicely done, i think your pike press is actually better than your straddle press, that's quite unusual, keep up the good work ![]()
Wow Ian very nice!
Are you doing that on concrete? YOU SCARY!
I wish I was as good as you.... jerk ![]()
Edit:
Ian, did you always have flexible wrists? I'm finding that my lack of wrist flexibility is making progressing in the straddle press pretty hard - as I can't get enough lean to balance the center of gravity. I'm working on it against a wall now, focusing on getting enough pressure on my wrists each time in hopes they will improve over time
Thank you all for your wonderful commen ts!
I honestly don't know if i have had very flexibe wrists. I have had the same thing asked about my bicept tendons becasue i was able to do a RTO ring supprot for 20 seconds after a week of training. I have never really thought about it. I do warm up my wrists before hand. On top of that i try to train HS for two hours a day unless the WOD for that day is HS work. I would definitely recommend doing joint prep before you begin your wrk though. I would be careful though! I did a planche lean with my hands to the side (wanted to try a new hand p[lacment) and lean way to far forward, and hurt my hand and wrist for a week. SO, i am much more careful now, and know when my body is tired and had enough. Hope this helps!phrak said:Are you doing that on concrete? YOU SCARY!I wish I was as good as you.... jerk
Edit:
Ian, did you always have flexible wrists? I'm finding that my lack of wrist flexibility is making progressing in the straddle press pretty hard - as I can't get enough lean to balance the center of gravity. I'm working on it against a wall now, focusing on getting enough pressure on my wrists each time in hopes they will improve over time
The weird thing is, that is how is has always seemed to be. The straddles have always been either more difficult or worse form for me. Thankfully i did a straddle press yesterday, and it turns out i just needed to work on my active flexibility. I will take another video soon and show y'all a much better one.Marlon said:Nicely done, i think your pike press is actually better than your straddle press, that's quite unusual, keep up the good work
Ian Legrow said:I honestly don't know if i have had very flexibe wrists. I have had the same thing asked about my bicept tendons becasue i was able to do a RTO ring supprot for 20 seconds after a week of training. I have never really thought about it.
Probably because you weigh 136 lbs. I mean, that's not a lot of weight and neural efficiency can deliver a lot of strength. One of my buddies is hugely strong, but he's about 190 cm and weight like 60 kg. I never win a fight with him. ![]()
Also, nice job! The hard work you're putting in is certainly paying off.
Thank you veyr much my friend. Some people harshly joke with me and tell me i am too skinny, but i think its great becasue i can see my muscle increse and i can see the tenons in my shoudlers!
Ian Legrow said:Thank you veyr much my friend. Some people harshly joke with me and tell me i am too skinny, but i think its great becasue i can see my muscle increse and i can see the tenons in my shoudlers!
Whatever man, you're straight up muscle. Let the haters hate. You have very large shoulders compared to the rest of your body, and good flexibility, which together probably helps a lot!
Rik is right, when you are light it doesn't take as much muscle to do certain things, especially when you are talking about a vertical support with ideal leverage. You may also just have good natural strength ![]()
Thank you very much Josh. That means a lot to me ![]()
It may also have to do with the fact that Ian's been working very, very hard at it, smart as well.
That is very true Cole, an thank you! i have actually had people on youtube message me and ask me how i advanced so quickly. I always tell them i don't feel as if i did, but i practice 2 hours a day five days a week with Handbalancing alone. Then an hour 7 days a week for flexibility, and 2 or three for gymnastics. A lot of the time, theyb tell me i am wasting my time and investing too much time in it, but sometimes someone actually understands and tells me they will tryb what i do. This is my passion, and on top of wanting to prove to the people who told me i couldn't do it, that i can, but i have also had a lot of help from people on this board, Yuval Avalon, and Steve Atlas. Keep training hard everyone!
-Ian